750 LI

Posted on 1st February 2013 by Administrator in Economy |Politics |Social Issues

, ,

Last Saturday I took my youngest son to his weekly guitar lesson at George’s Music in North Wales. It’s located in one of those dying strip malls, with a vacant decaying Hollywood Video store, a dumpy Thai restaurant, a nail salon, and chiropractor. I sit in the car for the 30 minutes reading a book and minding my own business.

I pulled into a parking space and my son went in for his lesson. Being easily distracted and always looking for something to think about, I noticed the car parked directly in front of my Honda Insight. It was a BMW 750 LI. Anyone who has read this site for awhile knows that I’m not a car person. I’ve never spent more than $20,000 for a vehicle. I buy a car, pay it off as soon as possible and drive it as long as I possibly can. I consider a car nothing more than a way to get from point A to point B.

I do know that the higher the number of a BMW, the more expensive the car. I figured the car in front of me was fairly expensive.

I had no idea the rather normal looking vehicle in front of me retails for $90,000. After about fifteen minutes an Asian woman, about my age, and her teenage son arrived and got into the car. My guess is that she might be the owner of the dumpy Thai restaurant. She didn’t appear to be a uber-wealthy.

This is where I have a mental disconnect with a vast swath of America. This country is consumed by the status symbol representation of the vehicle they drive. The MSM and economists judge our economic progress based upon the number of vehicles sold per month. It doesn’t matter that most people essentially rent their vehicle for 3 or 4 years before renting their next one. Many people select a vehicle in order to impress family, friends and coworkers. They may be in debt up to their eyeballs, but if they are driving a BMW, then people think they are a success. The appearance of success is more important than doing what it actually takes to become a success (hard work, saving, investing).

I have trouble comprehending spending $90,000 on a car. I paid $100,000 for my first house. I could buy 4 Honda Insights and have $10,000 left over for the amount this lady spent on the BMW 750 LI. But, we all know it is highly unlikely that she bought the car. The BMW website says the car can be financed for 3.9% for 60 months. That comes to a monthly payment of $1,650. Why pay that, when BMW is offering a 3 year lease for the low low monthly payment of $989? Even this option requires $6,200 cash due at signing. Driving a car like this strikes me as foolish and vain.

The reason I have a hard time understanding the thought process of people who drive these cars is that I refinanced my house this week at 3.25% for 30 years and my monthly payment for a 2,200 square foot single family house in a nice suburban neighborhood is now $689. Renting a car for $300 more per month than it costs to own a home seems a tad excessive in my book.

My Honda Insight has four wheels, four doors, an engine, a stereo and a steering wheel. So does the the BMW 750 LI. My Insight gets 45 mpg. The BMW gets 14 mpg. I have one payment left on my Insight. I paid it off in three years at a 0.9% rate. I will drive it for at least seven more years and pay $0 per month. The money not spent on a car payment will be saved. The nice Asian lady will impress her neighbors while paying $989 for eternity as she is likely caught in perpetual leasing hell.

I will never understand people whose egos and vanity override prudent financial decision making.

1. Martin says:

It is MUCH better to buy a used BMW. In my personal experience I recall the BMW 750iL selling for $110,000 in 2001 with the gas guzzler tax of $10K, however in 2003 this car resold OFF LEASE on auctions for $32,000.

In addition you can purchase a 10 year old BMW that will last for another 10 years no problem for 1/10th of the new price.

Buying a used BMW off lease with all of the same safety features and performance however 36 months old can save you 65% off the sticker price. Plus if you are into the newest technology you can upgrade it at http://www.bimmernav.com This website specializes in putting the latest electronics in the older BMWs.

1st February 2013 at 10:16 pm

2. Makati1 says:

Martin, better you buy a 3 year old Honda with less than 60,000 miles and drive it for 5 years, or more. I once bought a 75 chevy that was 15 years old, had 100,000 miles on it, cost me $200 and gave me another 145,000 miles with only normal repairs like tires, battery, etc. I even took it from PA to Florida 2 times on 95. Granted, Chevy still built decent cars in 75, but I only owned one new car in my 50 years of driving and that one was a lemon. I saved several years of wages by not caring what someone thought about my transportation or myself. If you have a car, you work at least one day per week to support it. Maybe two days if it is an expensive model.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 10:26 pm

3. Leobeer says:

I agree with what Chicago999444 posted about the work ethic of MOST Asian cultures. Thais are different, many are lazy and saving for the future is a rarity. They are very class structured and will show off their assets to impress others.
    The dream of every poor farm girl is to go to the big city to meet a westerner and marry him. Fat, ugly and old doesn’t matter as long as he has the cash. The girls frequently get together to compare notes and they are very competitive among themselves. Image is everything. No one wants to look like a cheap whore and will constantly be upgrading her clothes and jewellery. The financial pressure put on the westerner often becomes too much and the party ends badly.

1st February 2013 at 10:59 pm

4. Hope@ZeroKelvin says:

The 750Li sells for about 100K depending on what goodies you want. It has a 400 HP motor, gets about 15 MPG and has a boout the same wheelbase as my 2003 Suburban.

You can lease one for $2500/month (if you drive 2500k/mo).

I test drove one. I gotta say, this car is a Work of Art. No detail too small is ignored. Driving it is what being in the captain’s chair of the most advanced version of the starship Enterprise must be like. Make it so!!! It glides down the road, sheeit, this car makes love to the road and you at the same time, like some kind of fuel injected super sonic menage a trois kinda thing.

(That sentence might need more alcohol.)

It was a bit too much for this middle class kid with cotton socks, my Scotch-Irish-German-Lutheran common sense/frugality cheapass gene kicked in and I went for the 535i, not the M5 but bigger than the 3 series. I am gonna drive it to 500k miles and it will kiss me when I drive it to Carmax, heh.

As to Asians, just wait, after several generations, they will be as slothful, heedless of the future, financially stupid, corrupt and immoral as the average American sheeple, consigned to the ash heap of history as is all who forget what made them once strong, prosperous and free.

Driving to your doom in a 750i is kewler than a in a cattle car but it ends in the ovens or the gulag just the same.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 13 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 11:26 pm

5. ecliptix543 says:

It’s a post about car prices and vanity, so I guess I’ll chime in..

Admin, I agree with your characterisation of the typical dumbass American that would buy a 750 new, simply for appearances. I also tend to agree with the idea that many of the Asians I have met and spent time with work their asses off and most likely have earned such things. As for my taste in cars, I’d like to have a BMW – but not for any reason of impressing strangers (that I don’t give a fuck about), and it wouldn’t be a 7-series because they’re enormous.

I had a 2001 318i as a rental in Germany several years ago and absolutely loved that car. It was the basest of the base models with the only ‘option’ being the sunroof. 1.8L four pot, 5sp manual, silver with black cloth and a basic cassette deck stereo. While certainly not any sort of track day screamer, it was perfectly at home getting around town like a normal car and was excellently balanced on my Sunday afternoon drives through the twisties in the Black Forest. One of that model, in good nick, can be had for around $4k-6k these days – hardly expensive. I’ve tested various 5-series cars over the years and I’d probably be quite fine with one of those too, if I needed that much space in a car.

Currently, I have an almost paid off little Mustang for good weather and the occasional track day and an older, slightly beat up but paid off Explorer base model for normal daily driving. I’ll grant that the used car market has been considerably distorted these past few years, but in the three and a half years I’ve had the Mustang, it’s still worth very close to what I paid for it (including cost of interest in payments). I didn’t factor such an occurrence in when buying it as I’d already decided that resale value wasn’t a major concern with that car. It was my reward for putting up with a decade of increasingly shittier jobs in an increasingly shittier industry, and was the final “thing” I was going to spend my money on before getting out of that business, knowingly taking a pay cut in order to not be a suicidally depressed alcoholic who’d end up dead at 40 from stress. Now, I have an excellent little toy worth around $22k or so, with about $3800 left to go on it, and the truck’s paid off. Another few months and I’ll only have to keep up with insurance, tags, and maintenance items – which is less than one month’s payment on that 750…

1st February 2013 at 12:11 am

6. Chicago999444 says:

I am not a big lover of cars even though some beauties really do make my head turn, and it takes a lot for one to impress me.

I have to say that that the BMW owned by a friend of mine was the most impressive car I’ve ever ridden in. She is a very good driver, but even the best driver in the world has a hard time handling the typical auto on warm, wet, glare ice, which is the most impossible driving surface in the world- if it freezes, you hope it freezes really hard because really cold ice is so much easier to get traction on than the kind of shiny ice you get at 28 degrees F. Well, she offered me a ride home and I was very afraid when we took the Outer Drive along Chicago’s north lakefront, because almost every other car on the road was skidding wildly all over the road, and there were numerous accidents occurring all around us. My friend had to brake sharply to avoid other vehicles that skidded in front of her, and I expected the car to break into a skid at any time. It was a small, ugly, early-80s BMW coupe, I forget what model, but it never skid, braked in a straight line and short distance on the ice.

By the time I got out of that car, I thought it was the most beautiful vehicle I’d ever seen, and decided that if I couldn’t have one like it, I needn’t bother to own a car.

1st February 2013 at 12:23 am

7. nonner says:

Hope – “like some kind of fuel injected super sonic menage a trois kinda thing” you don’t need more alcohol.
    to read this stuff i’d recall that old song about down looking like up to me.
    i have a ’00 civic that my kiddult gave me in exchange for paying the insurance on her new ’07 civic.
    since i live outside of the metropolis, i do not need an impressive vehicle but i can say that city people drive superfancy cars and they hate to yield the road to us poor people. it seems the fancier the car, the dickier the driver.
    now, i like living in socal because they have a lot of different cultures here. i can tell you from personal experience that hispanics are not this monolithic singleminded unified invading force, you can tell the second generationals because they have this air of entitlement and raidernation hubris.
    also, i agree with Hope that immigrants come with a set of values and a work ethic that will not be reflected in the grandkids, the schools’ gangs will see to it that they join a gang or get their butts kicked daily. that’s life in the big city.

1st February 2013 at 12:54 am

8. BOOSH says:

Admin,
    What you were thinking is what sets most of us with econ degrees apart from everybody else. We see most things as utilitarian, capital to be used in the most efficient way possible. While we may enjoy a good cigar, a hovel near a smelly beach with section 8 neighbors or a great beer (St. Feuillien Saison, not BudLight) they are simply goods to enjoy, the fruits of our labor. I own a truck, and have hauled all kinds of things, moved friends and basically used it as a tool for work, it’s beat up and dinged but rather than spend the deductible on cosmetic body work, that money is better spent other places (in a world of unlimited wants’….ect.)
    I truly believe that economists don’t keep score with nice clothes and fancy cars, the way most Amerikans do. We keep score in “I told you so’s” and being nearest to the mark on a given situation. Information and being right is much more satisfying to me than driving an eye catching car. And being obsessed with the most efficient answer/way to do things automatically deletes things like fancy watches (I have a cell phone,) fancy clothes (dressing like a flood victim does not keep you out of the 15 items or less line) or a fancy cars (go ahead and try to cut me off….does this banged up truck look like I’m afraid to get into a wreck?) I live in LA County CA.

So, I have no idea what my point was, other than, we see the world differently. Most people will never know the sun burns when you take off the rose colored glasses (obviously if you are reading this on TBP you are not wearing them,) but then you will see what I see.

1st February 2013 at 2:54 am

9. BOOSH says:

oh…..almost forgot:

Dilbert%20%284%29.jpg

1st February 2013 at 2:57 am

10. napari says:

I did some construction work for asians who were opening a couple of business. They recognized the need for professional work in some areas but used in house labor in other areas. I got paid well, in cash, and on time with a big smile. These people are all about hard work and their culture is mostly constrained to asians hanging with asians. I never had a contract for my work it was done on a hand shake and a smile! I luved working for those people!
    As for the car thing. I bought my mini van brand new paid off the 5 year loan 2 years early. I saved some money on the interest but I dont mind saying I like have that title in hand. Double car payments for 2 1/2 years payments were a stinker. I’ve had my car for 7 years now 154,000 on the odom and I’m looking to top 200,000 before I even start contemplating another car. The nice lady next door to me is in dire financial straights but her car payment is $400.00 monthly and choking the financial life outa her. Best as I can tell combo of keeping up with friends and vanity.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 7 Thumb down 1

1st February 2013 at 4:37 am

11. marissa says:

” napari says:

napari…..

Are you a dipshit, or is it just my imagination?

Do you not see that the culture of the car is a bankrupt premise? And you wish us to to reward you with accolades for buying a cheap piece of motoring shit and paying it off early, as though this exonerates you from the pretentiousness of your neighboring asians?

Well done sir. Many happy miles of motoring to you and your humble van.

May $4.50 a gallon greet you with happiness, and may the $$$ wars middle east muddle on to supply you with light sweet crude to keep your happy little program going. No worries….it’s all good.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 7 Thumb down 8

1st February 2013 at 6:17 am

12. JIMSKI says:

Buy a used BMW? Sure good luck with that.

Recently we had a client bring in his dream car. A BMW 760. This car new is mid 120′S And with only 80k on the clock was purchased for 28k. Think about that for a minute. Why would a vehicle drop so much in value before most cars are due for the first set of plugs.

Because it is going to cost him an average of 1K a month to keep it on the road. The factory spec tires are 800 EACH. If the timing chain goes out it will cost 17,000 before it snaps or 30k after.

It can be even worse for Mercedes. Last week was SL Week at our shop. 2 Sl500′s and a 550Amg. 3 vehicles, not one over 60,000 miles and the average ticket was 4700 bucks. FUCKING American Express on each sale. There goes 3.7%

1st February 2013 at 6:52 am

13. marissa says:

need.more.carz.

1st February 2013 at 7:00 am

marissa

You need to get laid.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 7:10 am

15. napari says:

marissa I didnt ask for anything! I happen to like saving money and doing good business!
    have a great day :)

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 8 Thumb down 1

1st February 2013 at 7:19 am

16. napari says:

hmmmm, since we all have to exist and function in the society we have maybe it would be good for one to realize that without massive amounts of fossil fuels we would all revert back to caveman living.
    If anyone has a viable substitute to fossil fuels that would meet the needs of 325 million people please dont hesitate to put it on the table!

1st February 2013 at 7:25 am

How Marissa will travel in her new foreign paradise

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 8 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 7:25 am

Marissa’s favorite form of current transportation

20090721_4659336e8db2edadf82eEnBjdmRDSZlK.jpg

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 7:28 am

19. marissa says:

Dude, I would never wear that color sari. My eyes are green. totally clashes.

Geez, what the hell are you thinking?

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 9 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 7:30 am

I was sort of a motorhead as a teenager. My first car was a 1940 Plymouth 2 door sedan that my grandfather gave me when I was 15. It had sat under his carport unused since the late 50′s. WW2 synthetic oil had pretty much ruined it’s engine. It was a great learning experience to totally rebuild it and I finally had it running by the time I was 17. I was so proud.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 7:39 am

21. Bostonbob says:

Admin,
    You seem like a really smart guy, so my question is why is a 50 year old man taking out a 30 year mortgage. I have worked to reduce the term of my wife and I’s mortgage, the last one 8 years ago was 15 years. Which we renegotiated the rate down to about 4% three years ago. As an aside we have three vehicles all paid off. When my son is at college I drive his 10 year old Jetta TDI, 45 mpg. Drives like a go cart, I do love German engineering.
    Bob.

1st February 2013 at 8:14 am

Boston Bob

I see life through the lense of cash flow. I have over $200,000 of equity in my house, as I bought it in 1995. If someone is stupid enough to loan me money at 3.25% for 30 years, and I can increase my annual cash flow by $1,600, why wouldn’t I do that.

There is good debt and bad debt. I have never carried a credit card balance in my life. I took out a 3 year car loan at 0.9% because I thought I could earn a better return on the $16,000 that I didn’t pay up front.

My after tax cost for the 30 year debt is about 2.5%. Why would I pay that debt off when I believe putting my excess cash into gold and silver will be a far better investment?

Some people want no debt. That is fine. If Bernanke generates the inflation he desires, my debt will become virtually meaningless.

When I retire in 10 or 15 years, I will probably sell my house anyway, so the debt will be paid off then.

1st February 2013 at 8:28 am

I also hate people who drive Porshes

4576.jpg

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 8:30 am

24. Bostonbob says:

Admin,
    This is why you have earned your props. I see things I fear and my wife and I pay off all of our debt as fast as possible. No credit cards, no car payments, very small mortgage. At times I think I should run up all the debt possible as did many early in the Wiemar inflation debacle. That could be a winning proposition if it is timed properly. It is just that I fear the outcome will not end well. Admin you have my utmost respect, cash flow is king. Even in the house building business where I am employed the ones that have survived understood this very early on.
    Bob.

1st February 2013 at 8:41 am

25. sangell says:

I would never buy a high end luxury car new. As noted the depreciation is fierce, maintenance high and, more to the point, a 4 or 5 year old luxury car has lost its lustre. It has no status anymore because an average new car buyer can buy a used Mercedes, BMW for the same price.

However I have entertained the thought of buying a classic car.

You can probably get a 1978 BMW 3.0 CSI like this for a lot less than $90,000 and it won’t depreciate much if at all. More likely to appreciate. If you only need to ‘show off’ for 2500 miles or so per year this might be the car for you.Stylish, comfortable and restored its a head turner.

bmw-3.0-csi-i19.JPG

Same thing might apply to a 57 Caddy Convertible

532607299_7822960536_z.jpg

Don’t want to spend that kind of money but still have a neat car to show off in?

3755626131_0d6f6e6f54_z.jpg

OK if you’ve really got an itch to turn heads and say I’m cool a 1953 Messerschmidt is the ‘car’ for you. Great fuel economy too!

800px-Messerschmitt_KR175_01.jpg

1st February 2013 at 9:34 am

For what I pay in child support I could drive a brand new Porsche and a brand new BMW.

Some jobs (not accountants) you have to present yourself as being successful in order for people to buy your services. If you drive a Honda CRV, people will think you’re a goofball.

Image is everything, right?

If you’re not a car guy, people wasting money on cars seems stupid. Just like if you don’t drink booze, you can’t understand people (accountants mainly) getting blasted every weekend. To each his own, and let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

1st February 2013 at 10:07 am

27. sangell says:

Nothing says ‘successful’ like the Sedan chair. It also shows you to be environmentally responsible and concerned about unemployment.
    sedanchair.jpg

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 7 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 10:17 am

28. sangell says:

Stuck in traffic? Not with the 2013 “Jamie Dimon” high speed sedan chair with ‘TASER’ powerSedan_Chair.jpg

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 10:23 am

29. GreasedUpWillie says:

Add that car to a long list of stupid purchases in the U.S. Two thousand dollar purses that say “Coach”, and hundred dollar pants that say “Tommy” on the ass, you pay a hundred bucks to be branded like a prison bitch. After the markets for legitimate products were all saturated, they went to status products pushed relentlessly by the MSM. Buy that crap and your stylish, buy food preps or an assault rifle and you are crazy. Sometimes I worry about economic collapse, and sometimes I think the whole thing needs to collapse.

1st February 2013 at 10:31 am

I picked up this nice care really cheap….

porsche-driver-cheats.jpg

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 8 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 10:46 am

Nice. I hit a nerve with AWD. I’ll poke at it for all eternity now.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 7 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 10:46 am

32. Sum won says:

Nothing like driving a car like a dodge or caddy with over 500 horse.
    You could never go back to a Honda after that.

1st February 2013 at 10:48 am

AWD has to drive a fancy car so people will buy his services

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 10:49 am

porsche.jpg
    porscheAdSmall1201977599.jpg

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 10:52 am

porsche-porsche-tank-panzer-maus-demotivational-poster-1216376071.jpg

1st February 2013 at 10:56 am

36. Buckhed says:

I have a 2003 Corolla that I bought as a commuter car. I was driving 150 miles a day 6 days a week to work. I put Mobil 1 oil in it the first day I drove it off the dealership. 400K later it’s still going strong. I’ve put $400.00 in repairs since day one. The odometer stopped at 299,999 4 years ago so my mileage is a guess .It gets 40 mpg and I plan on keeping it .

1st February 2013 at 11:11 am

Buckhed

1st February 2013 at 11:22 am

38. gubmint cheese says:

Her car $989.00 monthly payment or lease is equal to my annual school and county property tax averaged monthly here in Pee Ayyy.

At least she has a cool ride for her money.

I get crumbling infrastructure, inefficient government and marginal schools with mine.

1st February 2013 at 11:29 am

39. DaveL says:

Jim: What you failed to understand is that the Asian woman is getting porked by the manager of the Thai restaurant four times a week for $700 while her kid gets free meals

1st February 2013 at 11:32 am

40. Bostonbob says:

One of my best friends in high school married the daughter of one of the first Porsche dealers in the U.S. Reitzel Porsche Audi. My friends father in laws name was Wolfgang Reitzel, I believe he sold it recently. My friend Mike always drove an older beat Audi. He could well afford repairs since he owns a transmission repair shop. He said he loved te Posches, but the were to expensive to keep up. To bad I would have loved to ride in one.
    Bob.

1st February 2013 at 11:52 am

41. Colma Rising says:

Little japanese beater 4X4 pickup that just won’t die.

T=1/P works for trucks. Deriving the equation for penis size being inverse to truck size was relatively easy compared to the equation deriving car prices being inverse as the lease involves differential equations.

So I’ll just go anecdotal:

BMW/Porsche/etc. Owners are douche bags.

1st February 2013 at 11:52 am

42. Bostonbob says:

Colma,
    I find the worst douchebags are the women driving the moster SUVs on there Iphone sipping there lattes. They often will drive as if no one else has the right to be on the road. I am often amazed that I have not been crushed in the little Jetta.
    Bob.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 11:58 am

43. varnelius says:

(Snatch – ending scene [HD])

0:51 – 0:56
    “Whats in the Car?”
    “Seats and a steering wheel.”

1st February 2013 at 11:59 am

Whenever I see someone driving a Hummer, I immediately think – DOUCHEBAG

And then I visualize this.

1st February 2013 at 12:09 pm

1st February 2013 at 12:10 pm

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 12:12 pm

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 1

1st February 2013 at 12:14 pm

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 12:15 pm

49. sangell says:

A Porsche is not a practical car for AWD. Here is why.
    th?id=H.4654031714126302&pid=1.7

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 7 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 12:32 pm

50. fool on the hill says:

ADMIN………………Hope your old lady has a sense of humor like mine………………………………………………………………….Or…………”Hell has no fury like a woman scorned.”

You might need a heated doghouse.

1st February 2013 at 12:34 pm

51. sangell says:

Of course the “Mexican Limousine” is also a prestige vehicle in some parts of the country.
    A-Pickup-Truck-Taking-People-Up-The-Mountain.jpg

1st February 2013 at 12:36 pm

52. Eddie says:

I was going to say something about the Asian lady’s car being paid for with cash, but I see somebody else already went there.

I don’t see anybody else who was enough of a douchebag to mention that first generation Asian immigrants almost always start businesses that collect their revenue in CASH too, and that much of it probably goes under the table, never passing through the cash register or onto the books.

This really helps out at tax time. If I could hide maybe 30% of my income from the IRS, I could drive a BMW for the price of a Honda, and you could too. Just sayin’.

Oh, I’m being politically incorrect again, aren’t I?

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 12:36 pm

53. varnelius says:

sensetti, you nailed that… except SUVs trump Trucks.

New Ford Exorbitant Comes With Spare Explorer

Ford Motor Company announced today the new Ford Exorbitant. The Ford Exorbitant seats 50 comfortably, and even comes with a spare Ford Explorer. The Exorbitant, built on a standard bus frame is the largest SUV ever manufactured. Aside from the spare Explorer, other standard features include a full kitchen, 3 bedrooms, and 1.5 bathrooms.

1st February 2013 at 1:00 pm

54. Eddie says:

Everybody and his dog has a BMW here. Definitely the middle class status symbol. I don’t like them, they are high maintenance cars, imho.

I drive a Mercedes Benz E350 that I bought used (low mileage) for about the same price I paid for our Prius. The gas mileage is not stellar, but it is without a doubt the most comfortable and best driving car I’ve ever owned. I did not pay cash, but rather financed it forever (almost) at 1.9% interest. The payments are fairly low, and I usually pay extra principle, but even if I don’t the interest charges over the life of loan will be negligible, really.

The problem with paying cash for a car, if you are in business (and it isn’t a business write-off) is that you have to take a draw to pay for it, and at the end of the year you realize you have to declare that you made an extra 30K (or 90K, whatever you paid). That’s income to you from the business that you have to pay taxes on. If you finance, that is spread over several years. (Years in the FUTURE.)

I know this is a hard concept even for some MBA’s to grasp, but the first rule of taxes is “delay the day of reckoning”.

Just like depreciation in real estate. Sure you have to add it back in when you sell…but that is almost always possible to put off…indefinitely. If you never sell, you never get the charge back. If you do sell, you do a 1031 exchange and carry it forward. Oops, I’m starting one of my rants. I’ll shut up, because nobody gets this stuff.

On a totally different note, I see a trend developing that I think is very similar to what happened n the Great Depression. Most middle class people are going to gravitate now to very economical cars, and many used luxury cars will depreciate very rapidly, and will end up in the hands of poor people. Watch and see.

1st February 2013 at 1:06 pm

55. Chronic Agitator says:

No one seemed to mention business ownership and the associated advantages thereof. Seems like everybody likes to bemoan corporations, whether small s-corps or LLCs and not easily take advantage of tax laws. How can anybody afford these things like fancy cars and pickups especially heavy pickups and motorhomes or airplanes and helicopters?

Think Section 179 Write off cars, pickups, equipment, entertainment and on and on.
    Think depreciation.
    Accelerated first year depreciation.

Consult with a competent CPA.

If you are in the right business (or not the right business) many vehicles and “playthings” and even some necessities like phones and insurance et cetera can cost a lot less because of the tax write offs.

No matter who you are, you should be in or start your own business …even part time.

1st February 2013 at 1:31 pm

03-2012-asian-drivers.jpg

1st February 2013 at 1:34 pm

57. Eddie says:

When I buy a another pick-up, it will probably be one of these. CNG/gasoline is an option for the new Silverado, albeit for an 11K premium.

I am not sure, but I believe these trucks are able to run on regular gasoline, E85, or CNG. Right now CNG is available here for about $2.15/gallon and mileage is the same as gasoline. I would love to have a truck that could run on alcohol, compressed natural gas, or gasoline.

1st February 2013 at 1:36 pm

3pad7e.jpg

1st February 2013 at 1:36 pm

If you join the Free Shit Small Business Owner Army you too can drive a BMW 750 LI and write the fucker off as a business expense.

America!!!

What a great fucking country.

1st February 2013 at 1:38 pm

I think I’ll incorporate TBP and buy myself a Hummer and write it off as a business expense.

That’s the ticket.

Top that you West Philly FSA

1st February 2013 at 1:40 pm

61. sangell says:

@Eddie,

I drove a CNG/gasoline car about 10 years ago. The gas company thought it would be good PR to have the staff cars powered by CNG so we had a CNG pump put in the yard too. The range on a ‘tank’ is not as good as with gasoline but our tank had to fit in the trunk of a Chevy Cavalier. We also had to use gasoline every once in awhile to keep things from ‘drying out’ on the liquid fuel side. NG also soon became more expensive than gasoline so the whole thing went away when the dozen or so cars thus equipped were replaced.

It is a promising thing and I would definitely consider doing it though not for $11,000. Why the automakers just don’t make a CNG ONLY vehicle which would avoid having to have two fuel tanks, etc is my question. There is the problem of limited fueling points and the residential fueling
    systems I have seen are very slow to refuel owing to the limited pressure on house gas lines where 20 psi is considered ‘high pressure’ but even GM, Ford and Dodge all agreed to put fueling points at their dealerships that would provide enough ‘stations’ in most of the country to get CNG only fuels up and running in a big way.

1st February 2013 at 2:12 pm

62. Eddie says:

Admin, turn off the sarc button.

Any middle class small businessman who does not take full advantage of whatever small breaks that still exist to reduce his tax burden (within legal limits) is just pain stupid, and headed for bankruptcy too, nowadays.

I do not write off any vehicles. If you don’t have a nice clear paper trail that documents that the car is used more than 50% for business it will not pass muster in an audit. In the Eisenhower years, a doctor or a dentist could write off a Rolls-Royce on the business, 90% of the cost, no questions asked. Not now.

I’m sensitive to wasting carbon fuel, but I haven’t figured out a way to build my off-grid, sustainable future without a way to pull a trailer, so a pick-up is something I need right now, more than ever. I own two, but I never drive more than one at a time. I paid 4K cash for one, and 2K cash for the other.

1st February 2013 at 2:16 pm

Eddie

If I turned off my sarc button, I’d have to shutdown TBP.

Everyone should take full advantage of the tax laws.

That doesn’t change my opinion that all tax breaks for everyone should be eliminated.

1st February 2013 at 2:21 pm

This is an awesome thread.

I’ve lost my BMW demographic.

I’ve lost my Asian demographic.

I’ve lost my woman driver demographic.

I’ve lost my Hummer demographic.

I’ve pissed off my small business owner demographic.

I’ve pissed off my asshole doctor demographic.

I’ve even lost my douchebag demographic.

Who can I try to piss off now?

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 9 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 2:25 pm

65. varnelius says:

I think the pro-scissor lobby group hasn’t gotten pissed just yet…

1st February 2013 at 2:53 pm

66. MuckAbout says:

I was going to make a pithy comment on this post but the thread is all used up!

MA

1st February 2013 at 3:17 pm

Muck

This thread is just getting started. I’m going to bash Boomers to get it going again.

1st February 2013 at 3:21 pm

llpoh

Did you trade in your German cars for this?

1st February 2013 at 5:18 pm

Oops!!!

There goes my gay demographic.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 0

1st February 2013 at 5:19 pm

70. Llpoh says:

Nope, I do not drive a fagbug.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

1st February 2013 at 5:54 pm

71. Tim says:

Jim – I’m just getting home from work, and wanted to try and bring this thread back around to the theme of vehicles as a source of status. I agree with you, wholeheartedly. Why would someone use a vehicle to prove some image they think of themselves? I think a vehicle should reliably & safely get a person from Point A to B and back again. After I drove junk for so long trying to get out of debt, I no longer care. I don’t associate what I drive with Who I Am. Here are some actual photos of my junky truck. It has 190K miles, so it’s not a record breaker, but it’s been paid for for years.

Plus, I think you’ll like the photos of the rear bumper stickers.

100_3784.JPG100_3781.JPG100_3783.JPG

1st February 2013 at 6:03 pm

Tim

Love your steering wheel.

I made the mistake of ordering Ron Paul bumper magnets and there is absolutely no metal on the rear of a Honda Insight. That gives me a real warm feeling on the Schuykill Expressway. I have my Ron Paul magnet on the driver’s side rear panel.

My son has the CRV up to 195,000 miles.

1st February 2013 at 6:08 pm

jerry-and-george.jpg

1st February 2013 at 6:12 pm

74. Tim says:

The steering wheel cover is my idea of a joke. I do stuff just to mess with my kids’ heads. The important part to notice, if you look behind the steering wheel, is that the truck has no dashboard. Dashboards – Who needs ‘em?

1st February 2013 at 6:21 pm

75. Eddie says:

Sangell

Saw your post re classic cars. Actually, I think classic cars are a terrible investment. But maybe it’s because I got hooked on the British. I have one of these.

This car and my 1969 Allis Chalmers backhoe form the real backbone of my investment portfolio. Boomers know how to plan for retirement.

1st February 2013 at 6:22 pm

Tim

Good thinking. The airbags will deploy much quicker without a dashboard.

1st February 2013 at 6:33 pm

77. Olga says:

We were taught as children that the “better kind” drove older, practical, reliable, cars – that “trophies” were just poor taste and marked someone as a bit of a climber. To this day I can’t help but judge someone by the car they choose to drive. And the state of the interior. Some people are slobs.

And I also judge people by the house and contents – I am a strong “J” so I feel I should get a pass.

I originally bought into my downtown neighborhood when it was a bit dicey with a fair number of rentals and certainly eccentric – it has since gentrified to the point that I couldn’t afford my house and now I’m the neighbor that everyone talks about because I haven’t expanded, massively renovated or more-or-less upscaled to yuppiehood. The [legal] chicken coop put the boys next door over the edge. I think it’s hysterical.

1st February 2013 at 6:36 pm

78. Eddie says:

Urban chicken farmers rock.

1st February 2013 at 6:42 pm

79. varnelius says:

Since nearly everyone has described their vehicle, I suppose I should describe mine. I’ve got a ’96 Ford Windstar that was bought in ’05 for $3k cash (had 91k mi on it). Its up to 129k now, only had to work on the starter & alternator, tho I did change plugs, wires etc at about 110k. Both the fuel pump and serpentine belt have been crying for replacement since I got it. Oh and the battery has been changed twice. I only have put 2 new/1 used tires on it, tho it needs a full set around now. 2x 6months of insurance coverage, the rest was uninsured (no comment on current status).

Both front doors had to have the ‘door ajar’ sensor disconnected from the door latches, and I noticed this afternoon, either the slide door or the rear hatch need that done also (one of them started dinging while going down the road today, after stopping to slam both twice). The drivers side underside is getting so rusty that it is getting nearly impossible to jack it up using the supplied scissor jack.

It’s made two round trips from Duluth, MN to Los Angeles, CA (~2100-2400mi depending on route across the rockies). Even throwing in yearly tag fees, I’ve definitely spent less then $4500 on it thus far.

After driving one tho, I have to say, minivans absolutely rock. They are completely invisible on the road. There have been dozens and dozens of times when I should have been pulled over for speeding or other reckless driving, and have yet to be pulled over in it.

1st February 2013 at 6:49 pm

80. varnelius says:

Oh, and when it’s going down the road, its like sitting on a couch and/or ridding in a Cadillac The 21-24mpg highway isn’t too terrible either, depending on the time of year and the blend of gas that is in it. It doesn’t tend to like the e10 87 octane after it’s been in the tank a few days. Either ethanol free 87 octane or e10 89 octane gets around that. Oh and I run a can of sea foam thru it once or twice a year (1/2 in the oil, 1/2 in the gas).

1st February 2013 at 6:54 pm

81. Olga says:

They are adorable – and productive – chickens. No boys allowed – city ordinance – too loud and obnoxious.

It is a pretty low maintenance coop but this latest cold snap has me changing the [frozen] water twice a day.

Not sure how to load a pic from the hard drive but I’ll try.

C:\pic\coop1.jpg

1st February 2013 at 7:01 pm

82. Eddie says:

Boy chickens are getting to be just as passe as husbands these days.

1st February 2013 at 7:03 pm

83. Olga says:

That pic thing didn’t go well – sorry.

1st February 2013 at 7:05 pm

84. Avalon says:

Olga, if you upload your pic into a photobucket.com acct it will give you a url to post pic on this site. Sorry, its a pain I know…

1st February 2013 at 7:19 pm

85. varnelius says:

I believe imageshack.us will allow you to upload images without needing an account.

1st February 2013 at 7:21 pm

86. Avalon says:

Good to know Varnelius, thx. :)

1st February 2013 at 7:26 pm

87. Olga says:

Okay – I tried imageshack
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

coop1y.jpg

1st February 2013 at 7:27 pm

88. Olga says:

That was easy!

1st February 2013 at 7:28 pm

89. varnelius says:

imageshack.us can be a little tricky to post large images, it will tend to give you links to a “thumbnail” or scaled image, however if you click all the way through to view the full size image, and then copy that URL when you see the image in your browser full sized, you can still share large photos that way.

As a general rule, I don’t like to sign up for accounts anywhere. I get enough spam emails as it is.

1st February 2013 at 7:48 pm

90. Eddie says:

Awesome chicken condo. In Austin you could rent that to two college students for $900 a month.

1st February 2013 at 7:56 pm

91. sangell says:

@Eddie,

The thing about having a classic car like your MGA is it is not just an investment it is something you can use and enjoy unlike a stock or a rental property. Taking the MGA out for spin on a nice day is its own ROI and its unlikely to go down in value but I hear you on British cars. I had an MGB-GT years ago. It was fun but it was designed by lunatics. Instead of 1-12 volt battery it had two 6 volt batteries under the tiny rear seat… on opposite sides of the car!!! Lucas electrics were always a problem too. I was told that Lucas spent most of their R&D money designing products that would fail precisely on the day the warranty expired.

My theory on investing in cars is this. Go to a high school and ask the 16 year old boys what car they would most like to have. Within reason, no Bugatti Varons or Ferraris allowed. Buy the top of the line model of that car and store it for 30 years ( if you’ve got 30 more years to live). Then some of those 16 year old boys will be 46 year old men making big money who will want the car they could not afford when they were a teenager and they will pay for it sort of like baby boomers pay insane amounts of money for old muscle cars or people just a bit older do for old Cadillacs.

Something about 30 years. It turns junk into collectible gold. Those 1960′s baseball cards and phono records went into the attic or basement after 10 years when you leave home. After a few more years they start getting tossed into the garbage or are ruined by moisture, heat or time. Then, one day, about 30 years later, if you or whomever comes across it is lucky, the stuff you had as a kid is now valuable collectibles. A time capsule from a different age.

1st February 2013 at 8:08 pm

92. nonner says:

Eddie – “If I could hide maybe 30% of my income from the IRS, I could drive a BMW for the price of a Honda” i’ve had the same idea for a while, although no one agrees that legalizing immigrants so they can pay taxes is a good idea. anybody who post here and worries that they may not be PC is like those idiots who have a live-in girlfriend with 4 kids but refuse to get married because they are afraid of commitment. speak your peace, homeland, i got your back with the homies.

1st February 2013 at 1:10 am

93. varnelius says:

nonner: you just HAD to go there…..

This latest crap about legalizing the illegals, will do nothing more then increase the pool of workers searching for the available jobs here in the US. This is actually going to crash this country hard. Not only is it going to kill everyone looking for a job, its going to kill everything else from picking produce to mowing lawns..

Now don’t get me wrong, I’d KILL for a $10/hr job under the table picking produce. It’s a hell of a lot better then the options I have around here in central “fly over country.” I’m already one of those who’s been forced into working a sub-minimum wage job due to lack of options, yet I know enough to rid your PC of spyware/virii (I don’t care if spell check doesn’t like that word, that’s the plural of virus).

I’m probably going to have to go $30k plus in debt just to take classes I could teach just to get paperwork showing I know what I do.

I’d apply to the DHS since I know they are recruiting, but I know I’d have no chance in hell in getting a spot without that damn paperwork. I guess living on the internet for almost 20 years and knowing the dark corners of it counts for nothing.

1st February 2013 at 2:06 am

94. varnelius says:

Just have to say this, god dam I miss Capital Account. :(

1st February 2013 at 2:10 am

95. varnelius says:

FYI, TBP does NOT count as a dark corner of the internet. There are many more less visited places that are much harder to log.

1st February 2013 at 2:26 am

96. Colma Rising says:

“Those who stand near the higher and the highest grades of the
    wealthy leisure class, in point of birth, or in point of wealth, or both,
    outrank the remoter-born and the pecuniarily weaker. These lower
    grades, especially the impecunious, or marginal, gentlemen of
    leisure, affiliate themselves by a system of dependence or fealty to
    the great ones; by so doing they gain an increment of repute, or of the
    means with which to lead a life of leisure, from their patron. They
    become his courtiers or retainers, servants; and being fed and countenanced
    by their patron they are indices of his rank and vicarious
    consumers of his superfluous wealth. Many of these affiliated gentlemen
    of leisure are at the same time lesser men of substance in their
    own right; so that some of them are scarcely at all, others only partially,
    to be rated as vicarious consumers. So many of them, however,
    as make up the retainers and hangers-on of the patron may be
    classed as vicarious consumers without qualification. Many of these
    again, and also many of the other aristocracy of less degree, have in
    turn attached to their persons a more or less comprehensive group of
    vicarious consumers in the persons of their wives and children, their
    servants, retainers, etc.…”