RUN THROUGH THE JUNGLE – 30 BLOCKS OF SQUALOR THEME SONG

Posted on 19th December 2013 by Administrator in Economy |Politics |Social Issues

ANOTHER WEST PHILLY CHRISTMAS POSTCARD FROM 2010

As I was driving into work this morning I was listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival’s Greatest Hits Album when Run Through the Jungle came on. A light bulb went off over my head. The 30 Blocks of Squalor has a theme song. It was written in 1970 by John Fogerty and was likely referring to the jungles of Vietnam. The song was used in that great scene in Forrest Gump when Forrest keeps rescuing his wounded comrades. Today, the 30 Blocks of Squalor are just as dangerous as the jungles of Vietnam. A little napalm would improve the neighborhood.

It is that time of year again. The Dean’s office adopts a poor family from the West Philadelphia 30 Blocks of Squalor for Christmas. The staff gives money,clothes, essentials and presents to this family. I detailed this effort in a post last year. The Dean’s office administrative assistants had no way to transport the 8 bags of stuff to the family, so they asked me if I could drive them over in my CRV. I gulped and said yes.

Myself and two tiny little women got in my CRV with 8 bags of goodies and drove to 50th and Sure Death St. I parked behind a $60,000 Mercedes. The only three white people who had been on that block in 3 years got out of the car and began to search for the lucky family. We identified the correct tenement and proceeded to lug the gifts. There was no elevator and the apartment was on the 5th floor. We had so much stuff, it would take two trips to complete our task. Two chances for assualt with a deadly weapon.

There is no feeling like being three white people on a block that is 100% black carrying hundreds of dollars worth of stuff in bags. We knocked on the door and heard commotion inside. But the door didn’t open. We knocked again. The door knob began to shake and three minutes later the door opened. It seems that they need a knife to open their door because the lock was broken. Lucky the place was a 5 alarm fire waiting to happen. The occupiers of this hovel were an 18 year old girl, two three year old kids, a 12 year old kid, one small TV on a crate, no furniture, baseboard heat that didn’t appear to be working, and dirt. This was truly squalor.

The occupants were not very talkative and didn’t appear thankful for the stuff we brought them. It was a weird scene, man. We made some small talk and departed as quickly as humanly possible. I was left empty by the whole experience. There was no feeling of having done something good for these people. Their lives will still be the same.

Giving stuff to people does not make them happy, better off, or self sufficient. There are two things missing from the 30 Blocks of Squalor. Fathers who take responsibility for their actions and the children they father. A desire for improvement through education. They go hand in hand. Without a functioning family unit, there is no way the children can get the support to value education and use it as a stepping stone out of Squalor. The black men of this neighborhood are responsible for the squalor. The white man didn’t do this to them. Society is not to blame. Personal responsibility by the black men is the only way forward for these people. There appears to be no effort in this direction. The shiftless, lazy men along the 30 Blocks of Squalor collect their welfare, father children and take no responsibility.

One huge benefit of buying a Honda Insight. There is no way I can fit 8 packages of gifts into it. I’m so sad.

Oh I almost forgot. As I pulled away from the tenement in my CRV like Santa Claus

He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ‘ere he drove out of sight,
“Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!”

1. Punk in Drublic says:

Yes, personal responsibility is in short supply these days.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 8 Thumb down 0

19th December 2013 at 11:33 am

2. Hope@ZeroKelvin says:

But I am just sure that all those university types felt all warm and fuzzy about their “charitable” gift (rolls eyes).

How convenient that they didn’t actually soil their own hands and come face to face with the objects of their pity (loathing)

How convenient that this “family” is tucked nicely away out of sight. Heavens forbid if this “family” actually showed up in the lily-white-ivory-towered utopias where the insane social engineering schemes that mass manufactures these “families” are hatched.

((rolls eyes again))

I too spent some time in a “30 Blocks of Squalor”, getting lost in Baltimore trying to get to the Johns Hopkins and meet up with our colleagues to discuss some research results. I was on my way to medical school that fall, driving a fairly new car, childless (!!), with money in the bank and two loving parents who were strict but loving (and the Greatest Parents Ever, BTW). Driving through those neighborhoods, I felt like I was on another planet. Surely this was not possible in America, I thought, thinking back to the year I spent at the University of Nairobi and seeing the terrible slums like Mathari Valley. Surely not. Must be those evil-hard-hearted-capitalists!

Years later, living in Houston near the Astrodome when Katrina went down, seeing the “caliber” of people coming out of the “30 Blocks” neighborhoods of New Orleans and training at a major inner city charity hospital, it was all so clear.

What creates these “30 Blocks” is a toxic mix of government programs that absolve people of all responsibility for their lives, for the children they spawn, for their own food and shelter AND a code of political correctness that sanctions, nay celebrates this bad behaviour. It is the singular most destructive force in our society, IMHO.

What is going to happen to them, and us, when the government titty dries up?

Guess I’ll flee to the Ivory Towers, aha, aha.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 24 Thumb down 3

19th December 2013 at 11:53 am

3. jmarz says:

Hope,

I’m in agreement with you on the fact that we are a welfare state. Government has created a dependence of survival among the lower income class. It is this dependence that creates weakness and the lack of self survival and responsibility. This kind of system is morally, philosophically, and economically wrong. Government should not play the role of “parents”. For instance, just shine a light on the subject of government housing. Why do these housing communities become “dumps” over time? The people that live in these housing projects have no incentive to take care of anything vice versa someone who owns property has an economic incentive to maintain the property so that the value of his/her property appreciates. We should be empowering people not suppressing them and making them feel dependent and weak.

19th December 2013 at 12:46 pm

4. Hope@ZeroKelvin says:

You gotta have skin in the game to want to play to win.

That is why it is the very rare renter who fixes up a property while the home owner will work every evening and weekend to improve it. And why those gooobermint housing projects ALWAYS become hell on earth very quickly.

If you give human beings the path of least resistence, they will take it every time. And completely lose their souls and humanity in the process.

My parents used to say “Adversity Builds Character” and then made good on that, but in a good way. God I hated that at the time, as well as not having a silver spoon in my mouth, but now, that I am an adult and a parent, I am profoundly grateful for the real love my parents showed me in not making it too easy.

Either the fed.gov actually wants a dependent/stupid/hatefilled parasitic segment of society OR the evil of good intentions and unintended consequences has run totally amok.

How best to empower people? CUT THEM OFF THE GOVERNMENT TITTY!

But hey! I’m just a mean-spirited-tax-paying-law-abiding (for now)-evil-member of the producing class. What the hell do I know?

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 12 Thumb down 3

19th December 2013 at 1:08 pm

~~ Guess who I saw on the street corner? ~~

Jesus. Well it looked like Santa Clause, I know, but under that cheezy lice ridden costume is Jesus.

How do I know? Because corporatocracy told me so. They also told me God is Walmart. it must be true what with people fighting over the glorious not free gifts from hebun abub on black friday, right?

19th December 2013 at 1:09 pm

6. Daniel says:

Jim, Read a fantastic book called “Life At The Bottom”. It outlines a similar environment in England, and the utter dependency that has created a rotten culture. Where the poor class is now a poor caste.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 7 Thumb down 0

19th December 2013 at 1:12 pm

~~ CUT THEM OFF THE GOVERNMENT TITTY! ~~

But our unelected ‘political class’, along with Blankfein, are doing Gods work by indebting people to their [but its not really shh!] compassionate welfare to the poor masses making poverty wages possible.

Oligarchs, masters of DC congressional critters, are just helping you spread your joyous labor to your caged brethren.

19th December 2013 at 1:13 pm

~~ It outlines a similar environment in England, and the utter dependency that has created a rotten culture. Where the poor class is now a poor caste. ~~

Socialism is a nice word for debt serf. Now be nice to the Oligarchs that have taken over your government for the people.

19th December 2013 at 1:16 pm

9. Snake says:

Glad to see your gorilla friend is doin jus fine.

19th December 2013 at 1:39 pm

10. Reverse Engineer says:

I am sure England will be vastly improved once returned to 18th century Workhouses, Beggars, Pickpockets and Highwaymen. “Please sir, can I have some more?”

Be careful what you wish for. You just might get get it.

RE

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 10 Thumb down 4

19th December 2013 at 1:46 pm

Snake

That’s my sister. She’s just big boned.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 1

19th December 2013 at 1:50 pm

Daniel

I think France has the same problem. There are neighborhoods where even the police won’t enter.

19th December 2013 at 1:51 pm

13. Smokey says:

RE—-Six thumbs up within 12 minutes. You don’t get tired of scoring your own comments? As LLPOH said, it’s always 6 thumbs up with you. Fucking douchebag.

19th December 2013 at 2:00 pm

14. Reverse Engineer says:

I have a very loyal fan club. You just have your butt buddies LLPOH and Stuck, so you are jealous. Scum-sucking dimwit.

RE

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 2 Thumb down 8

19th December 2013 at 2:18 pm

15. Smokey says:

RE—-Funny how your loyal fan club follows you around and always posts you 6 thumbs. Are you that fucking insecure that you have to vote yourself thumbs up? Fucking sick.

19th December 2013 at 2:27 pm

Now now heathenic plebes, stop your bickering. All we ask is that you pay obseiance to the guy in the Santa suit and the store they are loitering in front of.

19th December 2013 at 2:31 pm

My dream. RE and Smokey becoming best friends.

TwoMenHugging.jpg

19th December 2013 at 2:34 pm

18. Bullock says:

Sometimes when I am bored my wife and I will get on Google Earth and hit the big cities around the world (Detroit is one of our favorites) and cruise the ghetto’s. Makes us feel good about our modest paid for home. I guess the city of Brotherly Love will be our next trip.

But you have to do this on a big screen to get the real affect!!

19th December 2013 at 2:45 pm

Ha! The slums of America pale, i tell you, pale in comparison to the ones in Panama. Why I’d give you a link to the GooEarth page.. but they are afraid to drive thru there for some reason.

19th December 2013 at 3:05 pm

Outwardly a slum isnt as pretty as a wall street investment bank but inwardly that investment bank looks much worse.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

19th December 2013 at 4:19 pm

Admin – did you take leave of your senses to go in with two scrawny women as backup? Hope you were packing heat.

19th December 2013 at 8:04 pm

22. Snake says:

Maybe RE can start putting his thumbs up Smokey’s arse.

19th December 2013 at 8:23 pm

23. Smokey says:

I don’t have an arse, you stupid fucking shit. If you are going to write on an American blog, don’t use your fucking Aussie shit here. Kiss my ASS.

19th December 2013 at 8:59 pm

The only heat was the sweat from lugging heavy bags of gifts up 5 flights of squalor twice.

19th December 2013 at 9:54 pm

25. dufus says:

Guess the fact that you know what can help on this front and instead of that you just drop off a few sacks of crap shows in stark relief your concern.

People that post crap like this and then salve their pathetic sense of superior are worse than any gvt short of POL POT.

Why not apply some of your superior understanding to the problem.

Nah we can just rant on from our ivory tower.

Only thing more pathetic than holding that position is shouting it from the tower top.

sad pathetic loser no matter what material you have gained.

If you are so sure that owners would take care of the housing then who exactly owns the slum they seem to be living in and why was it in the condition of squalor that the story seems to indicate?

Maybe you should make those living there the owners , oh really, we can’t have that it may cut someone’s rentier profit down to size. hypocritical clowns.

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 1 Thumb down 15

19th December 2013 at 12:16 pm

26. jmarz says:

Dufus,

WTF are you doing wasting your time trying to provide worthless insight on this blog. Ivory tower? The government that you suck for milk to pay for your groceries and shelter are living in an ivory tower. They are the master and you are the servant. Make everybody an owner? You sound like a typical Obama socialist. Dude, you have no clue. Hypocritical clowns? Are you offended by our responses on this post because you are one of those dependent on the government? I hope not because I’d be pissed if taxpayer money is being wasted on someone who is wasting our money to have the internet and post useless information.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 7 Thumb down 1

19th December 2013 at 12:55 pm

27. Punk in Drublic says:

“To glory in others poor outcomes, no matter the fantasy ivory tower reasoning shows your parents deprived you of anything passing for a soul.”

dufus
    Clearly, your name is not intended to be clever. Did you even read the post? That you saw the Admin “glory in others poor outcomes” shows your complete lack of understanding of the point. Jmarz was too easy on you. Morons and feebs are welcome to post on this site, but you will get your ass handed to you on a platter if you can’t even post a coherent thought.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 1

19th December 2013 at 1:28 pm

28. Punk in Drublic says:

Read this, dufus, and take a moment to ponder your own inane response.

“There are two things missing from the 30 Blocks of Squalor. Fathers who take responsibility for their actions and the children they father. A desire for improvement through education. They go hand in hand. Without a functioning family unit, there is no way the children can get the support to value education and use it as a stepping stone out of Squalor.”

19th December 2013 at 1:58 pm

dufus

Your name fits.

19th December 2013 at 4:34 pm

30. Sam says:

Jim,

Do you have a link to your post about your experience last year? I can’t find it anywhere. maybe it was lost in the transition to the new server?

19th December 2013 at 1:44 pm

31. StuckInNJ says:

Hope said; “What creates these “30 Blocks” is a toxic mix of government programs that absolve people of all responsibility for their lives ..”
    A story of my two sons;
    Son number 1 (DN) was a free wheeling spirit. About five years ago he took several months off and hiked the entire length of the Sierra Pacific Trail – from Mexico to Canada. A year later he hiked the entire Appalacian Trail. Total of about 6,000 miles of walking. He did so to “find himself”. What he found was a girl he fell in love with. He wanted a family and wanted to support them — he never accepted a dimes worth of free shit. So he got accepted to the top Nursing School in Michigan. He graduates tomorrow.
    Son number 2 (SJ) is still a free wheeling spirit. Enormously gifted and talented as a musician. He was recently released into my custody after spending several months in a Washington State mental institution. He has made tremendous progress in the couple months he’s been here. But last week I said that things must change if he wants to stay with me. I felt that staying up until 3AM, and then sleeping till noon, and doing literally nothing except watch TV and practice his guitar and piano was unhealthy for him in the long term. I told him he needs to get a job. I said the free ride was over. He has literally survived the past five years by doing absolutely nothing … except get free shit. You name it, he got it; food stamps, housing assistance, SSI, and god knows what else. Well, the “get a job” speech didn’t resonate with him. Yesterday, he left to go to Michigan …. where his mother will continue to “enable” his behavior.
    One of my sons will suceed in life. The one who accepts responsibility.
    The other, unless he makes drastic changes, will fail. The one who knows no responsibility.
    For me, I can see all of this country’s problems as reflected in My Two Sons.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 8 Thumb down 1

19th December 2013 at 3:13 pm

32. StuckInNJ says:

RE: “You just have your butt buddies LLPOH and Stuck … ”

Now, WTF did you have to call me a “butt buddy” … especially after our previous decent conversation. You just want to start a napalm war for no fuckin’ reason at all???

19th December 2013 at 3:16 pm

33. Reverse Engineer says:

That was an old post prior to our Truce. Check the date

RE

19th December 2013 at 3:56 pm

34. StuckInNJ says:

OK. Phew. That was close. I had my Thesaurus out just in case.

19th December 2013 at 4:09 pm

I remember when Stuck didn’t need a reason to napalm RE. I call them the good old days.

19th December 2013 at 4:37 pm

36. Smokey says:

Stuck—He called you a butt buddy and meant it. You gonna put up with that shit?

19th December 2013 at 4:37 pm

37. StuckInNJ says:

Smokey, you provide enough napalm for TEN Stucky’s!!! I get a big kick out of the TBP Wars that you are so often a part of — very creative use of the English language. I especially love “Throat Yogurt”… laugh out loud funny shit there,

llpoh — I am now mostly filled with the Holy Spirit. In another post today Kathy said I would look good in a “tin foil” hat. My response was very kind and Holy Spiritish. Also, I feel I simply can’t compete with you, Smokey, and others.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

19th December 2013 at 4:54 pm

38. Smokey says:

Stuck—-I thought you said you were agnostic.

19th December 2013 at 5:05 pm

39. StuckInNJ says:

I am. The Holy Spirit I refer too isn’t sure whether or not he really exists either. Works out really well for both of us.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 0

19th December 2013 at 5:10 pm

40. Smokey says:

You ought to read CWG by NDW. One of the best books I’ve ever read. Couldn’t put it down. It’s NOTHING like what you would think.

19th December 2013 at 5:13 pm

41. StuckInNJ says:

CWG = _______??

NDW = _______??

Please FITB (Fill In The Blanks)

19th December 2013 at 5:20 pm

42. MuckAbout says:

The whole world would be 1000% better off if there were no references (much less belief systems) to anything spiritual, religious, imaginary (except for Shrek, maybe) and especially political systems that require a candidate to profess a belief in an imaginary entity to get elected.

It is insane to have anything to do with idiots that would kill you if you profess a non-belief. Better to blow them away first.

I used to think – gee, religion, nothing wrong with having people profess belief in something that bring them “peace” or “tranquility” or “strength” or “goodness”.

The trouble is, they won’t leave me alone to believe in nothing. Over my life, I’ve seen more evil done in the name of god than any other “reason”. Because of that, I now consider religion of any stripe to be deadly bad, far more than just worthless and a blight on the face of the earth.

I’ll bet 2/3 of the people who live in the 30 BLOCKS profess to be god loving christians (please pass the food stamps and welfare check down this way while you pray and don’t forget to shout “Praise The Lord! – he lives in city hall).

Now I have to go to confession and get forgiven for the rant.

19th December 2013 at 5:40 pm

43. Smokey says:

Conversations With God by Neale Donald Walsh—-When I saw it on the bestseller rack in bookstores when it first came out in the mid-nineties, I laughed my ass off. Yeah, right, this guy talked with God. Sure he fucking did. Fuck that bullshit. I wasn’t atheist, I just didn’t buy the absurd notion that that conversation was conceivable.—It sold forty million copies in the US and abroad and was translated into about fifty languages.—-I picked it up in the year 2000 and read it for the first time and was floored. The book is an indictment of religion and purports to be a dialogue between the author and God, just like you and me talking now. The author asks questions and God answers. It is in places hilarious, and it articulates many larger truths that you may have only sensed. I couldn’t put it down, and I’d put it at the top of the best books I’ve read, which is probably hundreds. The author is a hardcore liberal, but that does not detract from the book. The book changed many lives.

19th December 2013 at 5:41 pm

44. StuckInNJ says:

Thanks, Smokey. I have heard of the book but never considered it. Next time I’m at Barnes & Noble I’ll check it out based on your recommendation.

19th December 2013 at 6:05 pm

45. Smokey says:

Stuck–If you ever shop Amazon, you can buy a used copy for a penny plus about $3.99 shipping.–Or, maybe a Barnes and Noble new one would suit you better. There is little downside to it. If you don’t like the book, no big deal. If you do relate to the book, it is money well spent.

19th December 2013 at 6:22 pm

46. StuckInNJ says:

Thanks Smokey. I always check out a book at B&N first. It’s not the mone.y I have well over 1,000 books on the shelves or in boxes. Space is a huge issue. If I like it I’ll buy it through this site so Jimmy can make a nickel.

19th December 2013 at 6:35 pm

47. Smokey says:

Just think how much Quinn could make on his Amazon commission if I didn’t run off all of his new members.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 5 Thumb down 0

19th December 2013 at 7:31 pm

48. TeresaE says:

Back in the early/mid ’90s I did a stint as a door-to-door insurance salesmen (yep, accounting, then sales, then headhunting and HR, I have been nearly all hated professions except lawyer and used car salesman), anyway, I was a small town girl whom had had enough exposure to ghettos that they didn’t scare me as much as they should have.

I canvassed my way into the fire department for the really bad neighborhoods in Grand Rapids. In this area the local businesses kept their doors locked while they were open. The fire chief chewed me out royally (as well he should) and informed me that his men were not allowed to exit their vehicles at a fire without two police cars and four cops in attendance. He had buried two men during the 80s.

Now I live less than 4 miles from the border of Detroit. If (when) the Free Shit stops, I fully expect that my yard could easily become a war zone.

Thankfully my house is a bomb shelter, my dog weighs 90 pounds and I’m busy stockpiling needed ammo.

I really hate thinking like this, but I know what the hopeless do when the babies start crying from hunger.

Oh yeah, wasn’t the Clinton Welfare to Work program supposed to fix all this? Seems to be as successful as Bush’s No Child.

Why can’t the sheep wake up and realize that the government help is destroying us.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 0

19th December 2013 at 8:39 pm

49. Punk in Drublic says:

TeresaE
    You are 4 miles from detroit!? 400 sounds better. Holy fuck, woman, however much guns and ammo you have, it ain’t enough. Detroit! Fucking place is almost a war zone now, isn’t it? I don’t mean to shit on your homestead, I could never live that close to a major city, let alone live out the apocalypse. I’m a country boy.

Good luck to you, ma’am.

19th December 2013 at 9:21 pm

Sam

Sadly, everything from my old site is history. I can only access stuff from July of this year forward. Here are the 30 Blocks links that are still alive.

19th December 2013 at 10:16 pm

Stuck

I’m sorry to hear the news about your son. It must be heartbraking to watch a son’s poor choices. Don’t beat yourself up. You have done your best.

19th December 2013 at 10:26 pm

Stuck

I’d love to see the dialogue from some of our all out wars on TBP#1. Those pictures of dead Iraqi children could make you just about blow a gasket.

19th December 2013 at 10:38 pm

Stuck

You could also buy the book through Amazon.

19th December 2013 at 10:46 pm

Smokey

Thanks for recommending the $3.99 edition. That will net me 24 cents.

19th December 2013 at 10:47 pm

Smokey

I’m counting on you to make a major purchase of barbed wire through Amazon.

19th December 2013 at 10:50 pm

56. karalan says:

You, dear author, are a feminist dupe.

Why are you so determined to blame black men for the decisions of the WOMEN to get pregnant and produce offspring?

Believe it or not, men do not benefit by ‘getting’ a girl pregnant. The benefit goes to the WOMEN, while the men end up in prison (without charges) for not paying child support for kids they had no choice about having. ALL of the benefits of fatherless children accrue to women, and the state is helping them.

Birth control pills, abortion, child abandonment without consequence, putting kids up for adoption without dad knowing, etc. The list of women’s rights goes on and on, while men have no choices, no voice, and no rights whatsoever.

Wake up, because this disaster is coming to a white community near you.

Do some homework – start by searching youtube.com and listening to what the men have to say.

19th December 2013 at 5:37 am