Congratulations to the POTUS. Under his tutelage the free-fall of The Fourth Estate from 33rd place to 46th place in a 180-country index, has been awarded to the USSA by Reporters Without Borders in its annual World Press Freedom Index.
What single dastardly deeds helped snag this coveted prize?
1) A psychopathic quest to…come hell or high water…lasso Ed Snowden.
2) Declaring Bradley Manning “guilty as charged” for sharing less-than-flattering info about the military.
3) Surreptitiously commandeering AP’s phone data.
RSF, the French acronym for Reporters Without Borders accurately points out: Mon Dieu! “Countries that pride themselves on being democracies and respecting the rule of law have not set an example, far from it.” Merde!
Who flanks us?…Romania sucks…..we’re suckier….Haiti is the suckiest, and FYI:
Olemme #1!! – Finland
Putin says “148th place?…meh….we have Snowden.
China down a notch @ 175th….eye roll….”What, me worry?…Whose got GOLD?!
Last place….Eritrea….??….uh, Horn of Africa, pop, 6 mill, land mass 45K square miles. Whatever.
REPORTERS WITHOUT BORDERS
Established 1985 in Montpellier (France) by 4 journalists. It’s been a non-profit organization since 1995. The organization has developed into focusing on 2 specialized areas: Internet Censorship and the New Media; financial, psychological, and material support for journalist tasked with covering hazardous,volatile, and dangerous areas.
- To continuously monitor attacks on freedom of information worldwide;
- To denounce any such attacks in the media;
- To act in cooperation with governments to fight censorship and laws aimed at restricting freedom of information;
- To morally and financially assist persecuted journalists, as well as their families.
- To offer material assistance to war correspondents in order to enhance their safety.
WORLD PRESS FREEDOM INDEX 2014