If I were king, I would do the following. I am sure it would be a disaster, and I have not given these royal decrees the many months of deliberation they deserve. They just sound good over a nice bottle of scotch. These decrees would result in great immediate pain for many – too bad for them. Glad I am king and can exempt myself from any pain they may cause.
There would be incalculable unintended consequences. Some I do not know how I would implement – I would leave those minor details to the poor minions who would have to do the implementing. I believe that it would bring forward the collapse that is inevitable, but might well minimize the total pain. I would, in no particular order:
- Eliminate public unions
- Eliminate government funded retirement schemes for public servants
- Eliminate all corporate taxes
- Eliminate payroll taxes, including social security. And hence ultimately eliminate social security.
- Require everyone to self-fund retirement
- Eliminate food stamps, and implement mobile food banks distributing the necessities of life – rice, beans, flour, powdered milk, etc.
- Implements Sheriff Arapaio’s prison program everywhere
- Immediately expel all illegals
- Eliminate the anchor baby rule
- Eliminate signs in Spanish, or classes taught in Spanish, etc.
- Remove all military from conflict, save in events of invasion that threaten world war
- Implement a flat tax from dollar 1 of earnings, at say 20% or 25%
- Eliminate all personal tax deductions, save for charitable contributions
- Limit maximum wages that a company can pay an employee, say to perhaps $5 million
- Require schools be in session year around
- Require concentration on math, English and science in school
- Stop funding non-essential university courses – ie. the arts, etc. would need to self-fund
- Require teachers to pass exams in order to teach
- Change OHS laws to reflect general societal risk, instead of being much more rigorous as they are now
- Severely punish nations that allow dumping or theft of intellectual property
- Require a balanced budget
- Eliminate farm subsidies
- Reduce the number of Congresscritters by half
- Limit public servant salaries to national average wage
- Disallow voting for public servants
- Eliminate all gun laws
- Require banks to hold appropriate reserves
- Eliminate capital gain tax rates and charge at personal tax rates
- Implement corporal punishment for certain crimes – graffiti, theft, etc.
- Require national service for all 18 year olds
- Require anyone receiving government assistance to work for such assistance
- Eliminate political donation by any group, and limit the amount any individual can donate to say $100 total per year
- Make Congressional/Senate terms say 5 years, with no re-election
- Eliminate executive orders
What other things should/can be done? What would other kings do?
And I am sure that many, many holes can be shot in my decrees. I am a benevolent king, so I will hear all complaints. You need not fear retribution. Really.