· · · – – – · · · SOS · · · – – – · · ·

Posted on 4th July 2014 by T4C in Economy |Politics |Social Issues |Technology

america in distress

The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life and property.

For those that are not familiar with the sound of SOS

The ‘study of flags’ is called vexillology. Per the Online Etymology Dictionary:

vexillology (n.)
“study of flags,” 1959, from Latin vexillum “flag, military ensign, banner” (from velum “a sail, curtain, veil; see veil (n.)) + -ology.

As far as I can determine, the origin of displaying a flag in reverse (upside down) as a symbol/means of signaling distress and/or danger is not clearcut. All indications reference flags pertaining to ships at sea. I’m not going to address the various theories about the history of its origin. Anyone who is interested in pursuing it should start with the FOTW (Flags Of The World) related page “Flying flags upside down“.

vets

My father was a Navy Veteran. He joined when he was 16 years old and served in the Pacific Theatre and in Korea. When he died in 1999 he was buried at Culpeper National Cemetery with representatives from The Department of  Veterans Affairs present. My mother was presented a 9 foot long United States flag, folded per protocol. It has remained in that folded condition, in a triangular box, in a closet, since that time she came home from the funeral……..until now.

The significance, consequences, and influence of symbology in all human cultures cannot denied nor dismissed. On a normal day I really could care less about this flag.  But since emblematically today is not a normal day for this country, and out of respect for my dad who would see ‘his’ flag as personally impactful on a long-closed chapter of his life……I took it out of the closet… and hung it in reverse on the 25 foot flagpole my mother had erected in the backyard a couple of years after his death. They were avid golfers, so it was particularly meaningful to her to situate the flag pole a mere 10 feet from the cart path that borders the 6th green.

Dad would be pulling out whatever hair he had left over the ‘State of the Nation’ as it is today. While basically conservative in thought, he allowed himself to think outside the box and color outside lines; in that he told me once during a conversation that he believed in UFOs. I can’t help but wonder if the time he spent in the Navy….which was focused in Naval Intelligence and proceeded by a short stint in the CIA….had something to do with that uncommon, yet notable, belief.

So….it’s a gorgeous day here, with frequent refreshing small gusts of humid-less breezes that unfurl the flag for full-view.

Wishing everyone a wonderful July 4th….as it is meant to be.

1. wip says:

+10

4th July 2014 at 4:54 pm

T4C, nice job! I’m currently lansdcaping my front yard and have no flag pole. I was thinking about not installing one for two reasons. One, I don’t like the govt it represents. Two, have you seen the price and (lack of) quality of flag poles? Holy shit! Sad thing is that I doubt I could buy the materials to make one for less.

My parents got me a 4×6 flag that was flown over the US Capitol building on my birthday some years ago and it has yet to see the sky.

Your dad looks like he was one hell of a guy! Looks like he was full of fun and mischief too. Funny you mention the UFO’s. About a decade ago my dad told me that not only does he believe in UFO’s but he is certain that aliens walk among us and are indistinguishable from humans on the exterior. I was so flabbergasted that I still have not asked why he believes that. Other than that one time I don’t think I ever heard him use the word “UFO”. (yes, I know it’s not a word)

4th July 2014 at 5:15 pm

3. Gayle says:

T4C

I hung my flag upside down at 6:00 a.m. It was a still morning, so for a few hours it just hung there limply, and for all the world it looked grieved, as though it were hanging its head.

Now the wind has kicked up and a thunderstorm seems to be forming. The flag has begun whipping back and forth as though doing a dance of defiance to all the attacks its star-spangled self has sustained. The flag will not die. What it may do, however, is become a symbol for a different kind of place, a standard for tyranny and hardship. Its people can save it from this fate, but will they?

4th July 2014 at 5:40 pm

4. T4C says:

Thanks IS.

“Your dad looks like he was one hell of a guy! Looks like he was full of fun and mischief too.”

He was without question a man with heart, was absolutely full of fun and loved playing pranks….but like anyone else, was not without fault….I can still remember whippins, and the harder ones he gave my brothers.

I inherited his chin-cleft, not as deep but obvious nonetheless.

“I’d be interested to hear any reactions you might get to your distress signal T4C.”

Well, I didn’t get the flag up until right before high noon. As I said, it’s a beautiful day and the golfers are out in force. Thus far…..nada, zip, zero. It’s a big-ass flag so you can’t miss it so my conclusion is:

– All they see is the flag but aren’t cluing into its position.
    – They see the flag and note its position but either don’t care; do care but don’t want to roll around on the ground with me exchanging punches; or best of all….are thinking, “I approve this message. On to the 7th green.”

Here’s another view that includes the 6th green.

IMG_1251_zps4176b83a.jpg

4th July 2014 at 5:48 pm

+100

I got rid of all my flag stuff a few years ago.

4th July 2014 at 6:04 pm

6. NIck A says:

IS – the “Aliens amongst us” view is interesting. “Accepted knowledge” (reinforced by the “Grey Aliens / Little Green Men” fringe websites) would imply that “they” would stand out by a mile.

Now – if you (or anyone with a shred of common sense) wish to observe wildlife in its natural habitat, do you turn up in a fluorescent vest, with a fog-horn blaring (“Look at ME!!”), or would you get better results via effective camouflage??

I suspect that ANY off-world species capable of interstellar travel would be aware of the need for covert integration, and to have developed effective means (and extended systems) to achieve this objective, which would include effective retrieval systems in case of injury / accident.

– Which might explain the sporadic cases of severely injured patients “disappearing” from Emergency Departments worldwide, by “means unknown” . . . . . .

4th July 2014 at 6:06 pm

7. Winston says:

One word. Awesome!!

4th July 2014 at 6:33 pm

T4C, you are a brave lady.

4th July 2014 at 6:33 pm

Nice post, T4C. Very apropos on the 4th.

I bet your dad and I would have gotten along just fine. Two vets who love golf is always a good start.

BTW, your father bears a resemblance to …………….. Admin.

4th July 2014 at 6:52 pm

Where I live, rednecks are driving their trucks and jeeps around with flags flying. Real Americans, hilarious. Our president has given Al Qaeda and ISIS all the weapons, cash and training they need to turn the Middle East into a blood bath; our sworn enemy, committing treason against this nation. Obama and the CIA deposed and installed a neo-nazi government in Ukraine, that is killing thousands of innocent people, and trying to start WW3. Obama has soured relations with Saudi and China, and somehow Russia hasn’t attacked us yet. This country is beyond bankrupt, $80 trillion in debt, printing money, and living on borrowed time. Yet, the rednecks are proud of all we’re doing, as we ride the shit storm into history. Great time to be an American, isn’t it?

4th July 2014 at 7:01 pm

Not sure where to stick this ….. but the title of this thread “SOS” seems appropriate. These stories seem to be important.

1) It seems the BRICS are inexorably marching forward to replace the dollar

2) Austria’s largest bank … 3rd largest in Eastern Europe …. collapses …. experts are stunned

3) By “Punishing” France, The US Just Accelerated The Demise Of The Dollar

4th July 2014 at 7:07 pm

12. Hollow man says:

The world is also tried of our lies and killing. They now know the average American will never step up to control the goverment. A great disaster awaits us. The world will go on. We will be what once was great to become the way not to go. Like others in history we were really not that special after all. Perhaps once long ago but not now. Time to step up.

4th July 2014 at 7:14 pm

Here’s two more Stuck. The dollar as world reserve currency is faltering mightily, as is the petrodollar. Obama can finished them both off before he leaves office, and the USSA is $20 trillion in debt.

Beijing, Seoul agree to direct trade in national currencies

China designated a clearing bank in Seoul for yuan transactions in South Korea on Friday, coinciding with a visit by President Xi Jinping, as Beijing promotes greater use of its currency overseas, AFP reports.

China’s central bank has authorised the Bank of Communications, the country’s fifth largest lender, to undertake yuan clearing business in the South Korean capital, the People’s Bank of China (PBoC) said in a statement.

The BRICs Are Morphing Into An Anti-Dollar Alliance

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 07/02/2014

While numerous massively indebted administrations around the world hope to divert the attention of what’s left of their struggling middle class away from its daily impoverished existence and distract it with flashing lights and glitzy animations showing another all time market high on a daily basis, a significantly more important shift taking place behind the scenes is appreciated by very few: the ongoing de-dollarization of the world. For the latest example of how increasingly more countries are setting the stage for the final currency war, we go again to Russia where VOR’s Valentin Mândr??escu explains that slowly but surely the BRICS – that proud Goldman acronym which was conceived to perpetuate the great American way of life by releasing trillions in US-denominated debt in heretofore untapped markets – are morphing into an anti-dollar alliance.

BRICS is morphing into an anti-dollar alliance
    The announcement came as Chinese President Xi Jinping wrapped up a state visit to South Korea on Friday. China is seeking to make the yuan – also known as the renminbi – used more internationally in keeping with the country’s status as the world’s second biggest economy behind the United States.

Read more: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_07_04/Beijing-Seoul-agree-to-direct-trade-in-national-currencies-4477/

4th July 2014 at 7:16 pm

And one last thing. The trade deficit has never been worse. People are buying more foreign shit than ever. More cash leaving the country, more jobs leaving, more debt piling up, and government spending and tax revenue has never been higher. We’re doomed, but have a nice 4th y’all.

Excluding Oil, The US Trade Deficit Has Never Been Worse
    Submitted by Tyler Durden on 07/04/2014 – 18:16

What this chart shows is that when it comes to core manufacturing and service trade, that which excludes petroleum, the US trade deficit hit some $49 billion dollars in the month of May, the highest trade deficit ever recorded! In other words, far from doubling US exports, Obama is on pace to make the export segment of the US economy the weakest it has ever been, leading to millions of export-producing jobs gone for ever (but fear not, they will be promptly replaced by part-time jobs). It also means that the collapse in Q1 GDP, much of which was driven by tumbling net exports, will continue as America appear largely unable to pull itself out of its international trade funk, much less doubling its exports.

4th July 2014 at 7:20 pm

15. T4C says:

If you haven’t read this, which was posted at ZH with 68,000+ reads, you really really really must find some time to do so. I’ve linked to the original article.

4th July 2014 at 7:27 pm

16. Rise Up says:

Way to go, T4C! I’m not too far from you up here in Northern VA (Fairfax County). We normally have a July 3rd cul-de-sac party but it got washed out yesterday. My neighbor’s father was a city cop and former military, so she’s patriotic and put flags on all our mailboxes. I wanted to put mine upside down but didn’t–not worth explaining to the clueless what it signifies.

Beautiful day today, however, and as I listen to the firecrackers going off throughout the neighborhood at dusk, I envision one day that sound will be the occasional retort of gunfire as the nation slides into civil war due to economic chaos. Most folks are so immune to the obvious dangers of our descent, it makes me sad. Their normalcy bias in the face of current events is dumbfounding.

1118092-man-weeping-on-flag.jpg

4th July 2014 at 7:37 pm

17. underfire says:

“The US Trade Deficit Has Never Been Worse……Obama is on pace to make the export segment of the US economy the weakest it has ever been,”

…..And why is that? The first thing that comes to mind, is that Americans don’t have to work anymore. We can buy our stuff, made by someone else, while barging recklessly around he world, all paid for with printed money. No wonder the rest of the world is getting tired of our behavior, and how motivated are they to remove themselves from this scam? I would imagine Very.

4th July 2014 at 7:59 pm

18. T4C says:

Rise Up

I grew-up in Fairfax County (City actually).

“I wanted to put mine upside down but didn’t–not worth explaining to the clueless what it signifies.”

On the one-hand I do understand your reservations, but….on the other I feel the need to point out a ‘missed opportunity’, or taking at the very least a baby step in being rebellious. The missed opportunity lay in waking-up a sheeple or two. Then again, how many of your neighbors are onboard with “See Something. Say Something”? I think the worse that coulda happened is you not being invited to a neighborhood Christmas party at the end of the year.

Agree one must pick their battles, but at some point you’ll be required to pick a battle that will of necessity….push your envelope.

Thank you for appreciating the post neighbor.

4th July 2014 at 8:04 pm

19. Rise Up says:

T4C – most of my neighbors know where I stand–we’ve had some discussions of 9/11, etc., but we remain friendly. I’ve been here over 20 years, as they have, so “live and let live” is the protocol. Of the 12 houses on our street, over half are or were 3-letter agency employees (like a lot of Northern VA).

As for me, I’m definitely a rebel.

4th July 2014 at 8:12 pm

20. T4C says:

Rise Up

Then I stand corrected.

“I’m definitely a rebel.”

You’re my kinda guy. I’d like to toast that.

4th July 2014 at 8:25 pm

21. Yojimbo says:

My flag upside down since 7 AM in Boston.

4th July 2014 at 8:37 pm

22. Rise Up says:

Back at ya, T4C:

4th July 2014 at 8:48 pm

23. T4C says:

“Ukraine may be in the midst of turmoil right now, but they at least hit the big giant reset button and are looking to build something new.”

“Many are talking about major revisions to the Constitution (leading one local journalist to ask– “Why don’t we use the American Constitution? It was written by really smart guys, it has worked for over 200 years, and they’re not using it anymore…”)”

4th July 2014 at 9:47 pm

Ha! I just saw that Ukie article moments ago.

Here’s another doozie. Do you recall all that huffing and puffing from Amurika’s two biggest blowhard (HNIC and Ketchup Boy) about punishing Russia. hmmmm? Well, do ya, punk?

“US Sales To Russia Hit Record High AFTER Sanctions!!!”

—– http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-04/costs-us-sales-russia-hit-record-high-after-sanctions

That’ll show ‘em!!! Bwaaahahahahahaha!

NO COUNTRY takes us seriously anymore, do they?

4th July 2014 at 11:07 pm

25. T4C says:

“NO COUNTRY takes us seriously anymore, do they?”

Well not when their God says this about our god.

outinsaysobamaidiot_zpsecd6abaf.jpg

And not when we are transforming into this

PicMexAmericaJoke_zps17c9eed1.jpg

4th July 2014 at 11:57 pm

26. Gubmint Cheese says:

I only fly the Pennsylvania state flag and the Gadsen flag.

I refuse to fly the ensign of the Federal empire.

5th July 2014 at 12:45 am

27. dilligaf says:

AMEN Gubmint Cheese!

5th July 2014 at 2:10 am

“NO COUNTRY takes us seriously anymore, do they?”

Ukrainian Journalist: “Let’s Borrow From The US Constitution; They’re Not Using It Anymore”

Submitted by Tyler Durden on 07/04/2014 – 20:41

Many in Ukraine are talking about major revisions to the Constitution (leading one local journalist to ask – “Why don’t we use the American Constitution? It was written by really smart guys, it has worked for over 200 years, and they’re not using it anymore…”) He’s right. Much of the West, in fact, has descended into the same extractive system as Ukraine. There’s a tiny elite showering itself with free money and political favors at the expense of everyone else. Ukraine may be in the midst of turmoil right now, but they at least hit the big giant reset button and are looking to build something new. The West, meanwhile, continues down its path of more debt, more money printing, more regulations, and less freedom. How long can this really go on without consequence?

thanks-obama-obama-finger-welfare-political-poster-1299526071.jpg

5th July 2014 at 8:10 am

0.jpg

5th July 2014 at 8:15 am

HAPPY 4TH: JUST 28% SAY USA #1…

Lovers of liberty in America today celebrate Independence Day as when American colonists risked their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor to declare that tyranny must not stand and that the rights of the individual must be protected from government. In the late 1700′s, the tyranny had a British face and accent. In 2014, the tyranny is homegrown and flourishing on American soil from domestic enemies.

We no longer have a government for the people. We have a government for the government that frightens and persecutes the people. Government and those who hold office have become the ruling class that hold and use tremendous power over American citizens. Three letters…IRS…are enough to bring fear and trembling to any American! Unelected bureaucrats in that sick institution can literally destroy one’s life. As we have seen with Obama and Democrats (possibly Republicans), the IRS has been used as an attack dog to silence opposing voices. This, my friends, is tyranny. This is what our Founding Fathers risked their lives to defeat! Why do we suffer it?

Americans are losing freedoms at a horrifying rate. From warrantless government spying to having every aspect of our lives regulated, we are watching Big Brother completely take over. Our elected officials enrich themselves while in office for life while ignoring laws they have sworn to uphold that they themselves have passed!

Crony capitalism and corruption have destroyed the average American’s trust in government. As well it should! Votes and legislation are bought by big money lobbyists while the desires of American taxpayers are ignored! Our southern border is a disaster zone because of a unchallenged third world invasion of moochers. Yet our representatives turn a blind eye while trying to push amnesty for illegal aliens on us! Why? Because Democrats need more lifelong voters and Republicans want more cheap labor for their big business bosses. Meanwhile, Americans are paying for all this madness!

Big Fur Hat of I Own The World has been staying at AWD’s house for the past week or so. We’ve had some great conversations about the direction of America and what will happen when it all comes crashing down. This morning at breakfast we spoke of how liberals (“progtards” as he call them) have indoctrinated the American population with their system of beliefs. How they have nearly destroyed the middle class in America while making millions completely dependent on the government. Government is the new daddy! How they have destroyed the family unit and embraced every strange and perverse lifestyle. Anyone who speaks out against their diseased dogma is ridiculed, harrassed, and destroyed.

AWD told Big Fur that I’m to the point where I believe the only way America can succeed is for it cease to exist as a republic. I believe the Red States should break away from the Blue States. I’m to the point I’d prefer to live in the Constitutional States of America than the United States of America. Like Texan songwriter Ray Wylie Hubbard says, “I don’t care if I ever go to Delaware anyway!”

Drudge Report’s headline today reads “Divided States of America?” As if that’s even a question these days! Blue States long ago chose socialism over pure capitalism. Let them live and die with it! Statists control the American university system and indoctrinate millions of young, stupid people each year. Some never recover to realize that government never EVER created one cent of wealth! Wealth is created by the American producer. The dwindling number of American producers due to governmental malfeasance. Wealth is seized from the producer at government gunpoint and redistributed to the growing mooching classes in America. Not only must the American producer support domestic moochers, Washington now requires we support imported Third World illegal alien moochers looking for a handout. No country can survive with such corruption and stupidity! Not even the United States of America.

Today, AWD listened to some beautiful choral renditions of the Star Spangled Banner while driving my bad ass, gas guzzling F150. The music actually brought tears to my eyes. I am an American. I’m an American patriot. But my heart breaks as this once-great country disintegrates before my eyes. Even though I love America, I cannot stand idly by in silence and support the corruption and disgrace brought upon us by tyrants in Washington.

Last night, Big Fur, the filly and I went to Kaboom Town in Addison, Texas for the fireworks show. It’s one of the top five largest fireworks shows in the country and is always held on July 3rd. The show was spectacular and very moving. But for the first time in going to Kaboom Town for nine years, I found myself thinking about the suicidal direction of the USA. At the end of the fireworks show, I yelled out “God Bless Texas!”

Indeed. God Bless Texas and our love of liberty! I pray that America can soon put itself on the path to freedom and cast off the shackles of tyranny that have been placed upon us by an ever-increasing tyrannical federal government.

God bless those brave souls who risked their everything to stand up to King George and tell him they would no longer suffer his tyranny! And God bless those current day patriots who will one day say the same to Washington!

Molon Labe!

Read more at http://angrywhitedude.com/2014/07/happy-independence-day-british-tyranny-current-day-tyranny/#wV6jekHuH0UlECdP.99

5th July 2014 at 8:20 am

31. flash says:

..worth a read .

Letting Go
    Jeff Frankas

Alien to American heritage.

It’s a phrase I heard on a radio program a few days ago, and it got my attention. I thought about it a lot, because it pretty much sums up how many of us feel at the moment.

It doesn’t matter where I am, or what I’m doing, it’s always there. That sinking feeling. A sense of loss. An understanding inside that there seems to be nothing capable of preventing the noxious, rampant landfill we call a country from bulldozing over us everyday and everywhere. The overwhelming negative changes we’ve all witnessed at work and in our daily lives, the ubiquitous iron hammer of a multiculturalist ideology, the suppression of the fundamental right to speak one’s mind, the endless social engineering by a minority of Leftist group-think fanatics, the irresponsibility of a corrupt and impotent government that works against us, the relentless abuse and ridicule our people endure, the mockery of our history, the bastardization of the English language by moronic celebrities, the rise of junk culture, and well, more. Just more, more, and more. Never ending. Everywhere. And it’s really, really not us. It’s alien.

We all know this. Right?

Many of our beliefs and traditions, that is, the kinds of things that American Patriots have ironically died for, have seemingly been reduced to fodder for pop culture by late night jab artists and the Democrat multimedia hit machine. It’s all a joke now. The past, like everything else that is oh so vieux, is just something to make fun of. To laugh at.

So I avoid alien when I can, but it’s hard. Nearly impossible in fact.

But there are times when I can indulge in the traditional. For example, the family, friends who get it, great books, or in places like the barber shop. It’s true. Somehow the barber shop endures, at least for now. It’s one of the few spaces a person like me can be comfortable. A place where I don’t feel constantly boxed in, a kind of set aside for the beleaguered. Some time ago I found one buried downtown, and was immediately ecstatic. It’s real, a little rough around the edges, and thankfully still politically incorrect. And it’s a simple business, with no hair spray, no shampoo and conditioner, no blow dry, and no Asian massage parlor in the back. The median age of the barbers is about seventy-five, and there are two hair styles to choose from — “short” and “medium.” Perfect. I’m there.

Barber Shop 1950 #2

And I’ve been there ever since. The guy who cuts my hair is an Army vet, and proud of it. There are all kinds of things hammered to his wall, such as photos of himself in uniform, gun shell casings, illustrations of semi-automatic weapons, political cartoons, pieces of animals, and pictures of his kids, too. I feel safe and relaxed in the barber shop. Peaceful. His kids graduated from a military academy and followed in the footsteps of their father. It’s refreshing to gaze at his life story in frames, but as I stare at the pictures and memorabilia hanging on every square inch of space I get that gut-wrenching knot in my stomach. It’s the Other America. Mine. The one that’s been stolen from me. From us.

After a while he got used to me, and we started talking about stuff. Even though he knew me, he’d still ask how to cut my hair every time I came in. I’d pause and look at the examples of the two hair styles on the wall, rub my chin a bit, and then say “medium.” For an older guy he was quick and accurate with an electric razor. But when he took out the straight blade to shave my neck I would cringe a bit. Once while he was shaving me a blonde female coed came into the barber shop by accident from the local university, and immediately did a one-eighty right back out. It caused him to twitch a bit while gawking.

“You’re lucky I’ve got a steady hand,” he quipped, chuckling.

So we talk sometimes, and one day he was telling me about his older brother, the one who died in WWII. I listen, thinking about what’s in his mind as he speaks. A couple of other guys are sitting opposite, just hanging out and talking about hunting while their wives do shopping or something. Since we all kinda know each other, and the conversation from the barber is about war, I use the opportunity to probe.

“What exactly is America today anyway? What is it to you?” I ask.
    The other two guys look at me, and the barber stops cutting. I continue.

“Do you think it will ever break up?”

OK, I got bold for a second. Maybe a little over the top. It’s just a barber shop, not a class in political science. I wouldn’t just walk into any place and start blabbing away like this. Admittedly, these kinds of queries can offend. But they’ve seen me around. I’m not a stranger, and it’s a small Southern town with Southern men who have (very) deep Southern roots. So it’s safe. After all, their ancestors seceded from the Union, remember? So we go back and forth, and the responses are pretty much what I had expected. Everything has “gone to hell,” the President is “a liar,” the economy “sucks.” And then one of the dudes says he doesn’t really know what “our boys fought for.”

However, it was the “break up” part I really wanted to pursue, and what I heard wasn’t really all that surprising. What might have ended in a fist fight a hundred years ago was actually an informative exercise in where a lot of Americans are today in their thinking. People are more receptive than ever to alternatives. Seriously. Really receptive. These men may be on in years, but they have kids who are middle-aged. And they have grandchildren who are just starting out. And where I live, the apple doesn’t fall very far from the tree.

This isn’t just an Internet phenomenon now. While the idea of a Homeland is perhaps still not a part of the American psyche, the desire for change, real change, is there. It’s percolating everywhere, and a new country for Patriots who want change is going to take hold in the future. It’s inevitable, and that’s where I’ve placed my faith. In a way, these guys have already let go – like me. They’ve lost faith, and their trust in our institutions has long been shattered — like mine has. The System doesn’t work for them anymore, and in their own way they understand this. In their own way they’ve accepted a kind of quiet, painful reality. And that’s the first step — letting go.

Engaging people takes working in steps, a methodology. I do this often when I go to places like the barber shop, and the guys there, I believe, like the subject matter. But of course I leave and walk out onto the sidewalk and, well, I’m slammed right smack in the face. It’s back. The Alien. The Occupation. The Theft. There it is. Up the street I see a young, white social justice hipster on the corner trying to torque up the privilege thing or something with flyers about a Lefty guest speaker coming to campus. Looks like the same dork who spends half an hour ordering an incredibly complex, customized frappé at the coffee shop I sometimes frequent.

Sigh. Whatever.

OK, so what’s the premise here? Dudes in a barber shop yearning for the good old days?

No. It’s about releasing the bond, an understanding, a mental commitment. To those who have Awakened, good. But to those who still cling to something, to the values you believe continue to exist somewhere from a constitution unit taught to you in civics class, take another look. In fact, take a good look around you. It’s not your heritage. It’s alien. And it’s rotting.

Moving in a new direction takes strength, and it hurts to allow something you cherish to slip away. We know. But it’s not yours anymore. It’s long gone. For the people who think about these things deeply, and carefully, it’s almost a constant pain. But pain can be channeled to something new. An idea. A barrier to stop the bulldozer, to push it aside and move on. A new way of looking at the world. And yes, even a new country. There’s nothing stopping you anymore.

So just let go. Laugh. And then smile at what awaits.

5th July 2014 at 8:28 am

“We no longer have a government for the people. We have a government for the government that frightens and persecutes the people.” ————- AWD

Bingo!! You and another great mind agrees.

At 7:47 T4C posted a must-read link about the most dangerous woman in the world —— “Christine Lagarde – The Most Dangerous Woman in the World – IMF Advocates Taking Pensions & Extending Maturities of Gov’t Debt to Prevent Redemption”. A quote from the article …

” ….. they suggest that the people should sacrifice their savings for the benefit of the state. Socialism is no longer to help the poor against the rich, but to HELP THE GOVERNMENT AGAINST THE PEOPLE. The definition has changed.”

It’s coming folks. The government will bail themselves out with YOUR savings. Thank you for your Patriotism. Now fuck off. That’s the message.

5th July 2014 at 9:08 am

Gayle’s house yesterday.

imagejpg1_zpsa21557b3.jpg

5th July 2014 at 11:23 am

34. T4C says:

Fabulous Gayle!!

5th July 2014 at 11:28 am

35. Gayle says:

T4C

The problem I encountered was that since it was a holiday, hot and humid, the streets were pretty quiet, mine no exception. An upside-down flag decal on my car bumper would be better. I’ve never had a bumper sticker except for Ron Paul’s, but it might be time to start a trend?

Thanks for your good post and all the lively responses.

5th July 2014 at 11:53 am

Return of the Day of the Flag Suckers

“The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.”
    -H.L. Mencken

There is perhaps no national holiday that has been more debauched and bastardized in the era of the flag-sucker that began on September 12, 2001 than The Fourth of July.

Independence Day used to be a celebration of rebellion from tyranny when the Declaration of Independence was rolled out back in 1776 telling King George and the British to shove jolly old England straight up their asses, a declaration of war against the mighty Empire by those who desired to be free rather than subjects.

Even prior to The Day When Everything Changed , The Fourth of July had already been bled of most of its true meaning into a crass celebration of the worship of the American state along with retail sales, baseball games, barbecues, concerts and parties and above all the ultimate symbol of all – the US flag.

The eruption of raw nationalism and supplication of oneself to the all-powerful authoritarian machine that while well known outside of US borders – particularly to the victims of the despotic regimes funded by big moneyed corporate and financial interests in too many countries to easily list – had yet to be unleashed domestically and when it was then any remaining vestiges of a free republic and a functional democracy perished.

A new and dangerous era of the perversion of all that this country once stood for was forged in the furnace of the inferno of the collapsing World Trade Center towers and unleashed upon the planet like a malevolent army of darkness. The true darkness, the pitch black void that replaced the American soul took this country by the throat and bludgeoned the population into meek submission to a rising domestic tyranny through fear, demagoguery and most importantly of all – the thirst for blood vengeance to be exacted for the taking down of the towers. From that day on, we became a nation of sheep, arisen from the ashes and united under fascism.

It is a difficult slog to get through this national holiday anymore given the hypocrisy, phoniness, ignorance and acceptance of that big slice of apple pie authoritarianism that has been shoved down our throats here in the USA!, USA! USA! and the bacchanal of bullshit wrapped in the flag and served up warm by the media and political figures with the occasional celebrity mixed in.

This is not the day to watch televised sporting or other events as the already intolerable level of faux patriotic hogwash that rises to overkill gets turned up several notches. Just like the NFL games the Sunday before veterans day and all of the militarist masturbation that saturates them, or near the annual anniversary of 9/11 which through some collective display of national mental sickness has been inventively tabbed as Patriot Day.

The worst will be tonight as the fireworks displays are set off after a good amount of drinking and feasting on pink slime burgers and industrial sewage stuffed hot dogs has taken place. The strains of Lee Greenwald’s “God Bless the USA” will resonate across the fruited plain just as our alternate national anthem “God Bless America” will and there will be nary a dry eye in the land as we celebrate our glorious uniformed heroes.

But really, what does this country – now repackaged as The Homeland – truly stand for in the middle of the second decade of the new American century? Here are but a few of those things that result in convulsions of national pride and the waving of cheaply made flags to the strains of drunkenly warbled paeans to patriotism:

It is NSA surveillance – without warrants or probable cause – of millions of law-abiding American citizens, the latest in an ongoing series of ghastly revelations is that even the mere researching of internet privacy tools makes one subject to scrutiny and branded as an “extremist” and a “terrorist”.

It is using the NSA surveillance to target groups based upon their religion and ethnicity – particularly Muslims who have been selected as that most necessary of things to a totalitarian state – a national scapegoat. Hitler had the Jews and our God-kissed, exceptional Christian nation has the Muslims. Not that most Americans give a tin shit and I suspect that many will be roasting copies of the Koran at their Fourth of July BBQ’s today.

It is a Supreme Court packed with Catholic corporate fascists who only days ago ruled that employees can be subject to the religious ideologies of their corporate employers. It is the ultimate legal seal of approval on the persecution of non-Christians by narrow-minded, judgmental, superstitious bigots as well as the triumph of the willfully ignorant. But institutionalized discrimination is as much an American tradition as mom and apple pie and foreign wars.

It is an army of enraged armchair patriots, waving their made in China miniature versions of Old Glory and screaming indignities at refugee children in California – what they don’t bother to tell them on FOX News is that if their skin isn’t red ,then their own foreign born descendants once sought refuge in this country as well. The most disgusting aspect of this is that they were targeting children for Christ’s sake.

It is an economy that enriches the few and the connected with government subsidized gambling money, the Dow Jones Industrial Average shattered the 17,000 mark yesterday to the gleeful squealing of the pigs who profit off of such exploitation at the expense of others.

There was jubilation from the propagandizing media shills over the creation of a whopping 288,000 McJobs and those Fourth of July parties in Martha’s Vineyard, The Hampton’s and other enclaves of the looter class will be particularly lavish today as the majority of Americans are suffering from a crushing rise in food and energy prices.

It is a 19 month old child maimed when a military flash grenade was thrown into his crib in Georgia during one of those increasingly commonplace no-knock home invasions by our national paramilitary police goon squads who are glorified in movies and on television despite the obvious tracking towards the militarizing of law enforcement. The ACLU just released a report entitled “The War Comes Home” on this black-suited menace to any concept of a free society.

It is a newly invigorated wave of fear-mongering thanks to the deteriorating situation in the Middle East where US meddling and destabilization has set Iraq ablaze and Obama is sending American servicemen and women back into the Mesopotamian meat-grinder for the the third time since 1991. The rise of ISIS and the new caliphate is like a gift from the Gods to the surveillance and security state and the billions upon billions of dollars of taxpayer money that is funneled into tighter airport security and spying.

The airport security is especially convenient in that it serves to condition the population to be obedient to the state and accept humiliations inflicted upon it. Oh lord how the money is going to roll in and it is pretty damned good politics heading in to the latest leg of our perpetual election cycle in Der Heimat.

It is an American prisoner of war, Bowe Bergdahl being crucified by warmongers upon a red, white and blue cross of hatred as a symbol of their failed wars.

It is the funding of neo-Nazi death squads operating along with the illegitimate, US backed coup government of Petro Poroshenko in Ukraine as ethnic cleansing is conducted in the eastern part of that misery ridden country and covered up by the sycophantic, state-controlled mainstream US corporate media.

It is the relentless crusade by extremist politicians – particularly neocons and Republicans to keep the offshore torture facility and concentration camp at Guantanamo Bay open for business and the flag flying high over all of the heinous and barbaric acts that have been inflicted upon those imprisoned there. But more importantly, to keep it open until the political climate is just right to start sending American citizens and political dissidents there – which will be soon.

It is a country as steeped in backwards ass religious fundamentalism that rejects science, free thinking and basic human dignity just like their mortal enemies who practice fundamentalist Islam. There is really very little real difference between the two and our American “Christians” will delight in engaging in their own waves of cruelty and atrocities when the time comes.

It is Dick Cheney having rough anal sex with an inflatable statue of liberty doll, after he tortures it of course.

And most of all it is ignorance and hypocrisy but such inconvenient things are easily washed away by the holy water of American exceptionalism and the adherents to this dogma frolic naked in those waters as though they were lepers splashing away in the fountains at Lourdes.

And it is all horseshit, patriotic upchucking and a dishonor to all of those who died in wars for “those freedoms” that are so exalted – at least the wars prior to when the USA!, USA!, USA! went totally rogue shortly after World War II and eventually cut a bloody swath through Vietnam before ending up in Iraq, Afghanistan and beyond.

So happy fucking Fourth of July! Have a beer and just try not to think about reality.

Those who are nauseated to the spectacle of the cheap veneration of the flag as somehow being the symbol for this country rather than the ideals upon which it was founded can take some solace that the US soccer team was knocked out of the World Cup on Tuesday for the vomit-inducing hero worship would be intolerable were there to be a match today.

Hell, it used to be that American’s didn’t give a rat’s ass about soccer – it was for sissies, real men after all play football. But the outpouring of nationalism at huge World Cup viewing parties this year is really more than just being about soccer – it is about opening that can of American whup-ass and pouring it out all over any other country that lies outside the borders and that is what our recent explosion of soccer mania really is when you strip away the star spangled facade. The losers did get a glorious consolation prize when they were honored by the Pope of American exceptionalism – President Barack Obama who scored in the public relations game by calling selected members of the losing team to congratulate them after the game.

So it could be worse.. but it is a damned good day to drink heavily, especially since this year it fell on a Friday and tomorrow isn’t a workday.

And all of that stuff about the Founding Fathers and the Declaration of Independence, when you take a good look around none of it really matters much anymore does it?

5th July 2014 at 12:58 pm

37. Thinker says:

Nice post, T4C. The Morse was a nice touch.

5th July 2014 at 5:22 pm

38. Rise Up says:

AWD – thinking of moving to your state…but so close to the border makes me shudder in light of recent developments. In any case, I salute you and keep Texas strong!

5th July 2014 at 8:26 pm

39. T4C says:

Shit. The photos of my dad disappeared and the photos of the flag. I do know what happened so Admin I’m sending you and email to see if you can correct it. I can’t because this article has been posted but since your The Boss of TBP maybe you can correct it. Shit again!

5th July 2014 at 11:52 pm

40. T4C says:

THANKS Admin for fixing my ‘I iz stooped’ mistake! Right now I luv you more than I luv myself…..impossible I know, but true. :)

6th July 2014 at 1:21 pm