What We Got Here
Progressives on libertarianism
“What we got here is … failure to communicate.” spoken by The Captain, played by Strother Martin in Cool Hand Luke
Those words came to mind recently when I read a blog on Salon. [CAUTION!] Doing this could be injurious to your mental health.
Are libertarians misunderstood?
A conversation with Reason editors Nick Gillespie and Matt Welch: “I don’t think either of us are anarchists…”
I read the Q&A format and then started on the comments. I stopped after about 20%, didn’t know whether to laugh or scream. No need to twist their words, just copy’n'paste:
- people who shout the loudest
- Freedom=crime, law of the jungle
- the libertarian mindset. Nauseating.
- implementation of the Republican/Libertarian wish list leads to economic collapse.
- their psychological dysfunctions
- libertarians so often ally with the Republican party
- Libertarians are greedy morons
- shills for rich right-wingers.
- ridiculous, unproven, unprovable social philosophy
- (Libertarianism) sounds appealing to the intellectually lazy
- states rights is a way for the lazy and bigoted
- Libertarians I talk to on this forum are ideology-bound nutcases.
- believe in this fanciful notion that “the “benevolent market”
- their weird Randian utopia
- the Republicans believe
- the same people who complain bitterly about taxes…don’t seem to have any problem tithing 10 percent of their income to church
- That’s what a minimum wage law prevents: a race to the bottom
- Somalia … the libertarian paradise.
- hypothetical-utopia sissy slap-fight for bragging rights
- Recent studies suggest that an individual’s partisanship actually increases with his or her I.Q. and knowledge of the political process. So the rise in independent voters just reflects the fact that there are more and more ill-informed people out there.
- I think th No tax libertarians are selfish bastards who want to deregulate our government for their selfish interests. They are really just republicans in disguise.
- This country started heading down hill when politicians started listening to the Cato Institute and the Heritage Foundation.
- Libertarians are just really cheap Republicans.
- If you are still reading Rand or entertaining libertarian dreams past the age of 16, it’s time to grow up.
- The state got into education because religious schools and private money weren’t educating the workforce well enough for the needs of the economy or of civil society or democracy either.
- If libertarians favor capitalism and oppose government controls except to protect private property and oppose civil rights in the name of “freedom” they would be fascists.
- (the internet) such a decentralized system could never have been created by the “free market capitalism” that they worship.
- Outside the US, “libertarian” is synonymous with “anarchist” … American Libertarians are a relatively recent phenomenon, philosophically cut off at the knees by the contradictions of their creed, born in the political and historical ignorance of America.
- Libertarian socialist is the same as anarchist.
- Fox News and generally the Murdoch entities
- (the present system of ours) inherently it’s a GOOD system. It’s just been fucked up beyond all recognition.
- So save that silly bullshit about the Minimum Wage. Because we both know, you’re talking out of your ass.
- Small-l libertarians reject war and government and private property and money and every form of “authority”.
Not a glimmer of rational discussion – and no ‘cherry-picking’ on my part. Maybe there were some good examples later, one could always hope … the odds are, though, “The Captain” was right.