After reading this story you’ll understand why every urban area in the country is so screwed up. Here is a classic ultra-liberal bullshit waste of taxpayer money that rewards the exact opposite behavior that you want to encourage. Democrats have destroyed Camden and Philadelphia. They have run these shitholes for forty years. They encourage the entitlement mentality among the black communities that make up virtually the entire population of these Democrat created ghettos.
If you live in NJ, you should be outraged that your tax dollars are being paid to black deadbeat teenagers for doing what their parents should be doing. There is absolutely no personal responsibility taken by the black community and black parents in Camden NJ. Your $63,000 of tax dollars are being handed to these deadbeat teenagers for promising to go to school all the way through September 30.
The last I checked, the school year goes from September through June. What happens on October 1?
I wonder what the parents of the students who always go to school think about this program? How are the students who go to school to learn supposed to feel about the loser next to him in class getting paid $100 to show up? If this isn’t the most warped program in history, my name is Martin Luther King.
Camden to pay students $100 in anti-truancy program
Nearly 70 Camden high school students will be paid $100 each to not skip school.
The city’s newest attempt at combating truancy – I Can End Truancy, or ICE-T – will focus on conflict-resolution and anger-management workshops and educational reinforcement during the next five weeks, ending Sept. 30.
Sixty-six youths, who range from incoming high school freshmen to seniors, filed into the Isabel Miller Community Center in Camden’s Liberty Park neighborhood Tuesday for their first anti-truancy session.
The program, which will be held three days each week, is being funded mostly through a $63,000 Community Justice Grant from the state Department of Criminal Justice.
The County Prosecutor’s Office received the grant but because the office no longer has a community justice director (Angel M. Osorio was laid off in May) to manage the grant, it agreed to give it to the city, said prosecutor’s spokesman Jason Laughlin.
The money needs to be used by Sept. 30 or the city would lose its chance at receiving the grant next year, city officials said. That is why the students who have enrolled in the program will be paid only three weeks into the school year and not at the end.
The only leverage the city has for these students after Sept. 30 is a pledge they signed, along with their parents, promising to not skip school. Officials involved in the program pledged, in return, to track the students’ attendance throughout the year.
The plan drew skepticism Tuesday from at least one current school board member and one who recently retired.
At a board meeting Tuesday evening, board member Sean Brown expressed anger that he only belatedly learned of the truancy program, prompting board President Susan Dunbar-Bey to tell him that “details are still being worked out.”
Brown said in a text message that he was opposed to paying students to go to school.
Former board member Jose Delgado called the idea “outrageous,” saying it sends the wrong message to students. Delgado said schools needed more fundamental changes to keep students interested.
The city contracted Wren Ingram, the city’s former curfew program coordinator, who was laid off in March, to coordinate ICE-T. Ingram will be paid a weekly stipend, which city officials did not release Tuesday afternoon, except to say that it will come out of the grant money.
The idea for the program came out of a youth-development forum earlier this summer, Mayor Dana Redd said.