FACEBOOK IS MANIPULATING & CONDITIONING YOU

Posted on 30th June 2014 by Administrator in Economy |Politics |Social Issues

, , , , , ,

Welcome to the Brave New World where you are conditioned, manipulated, and entertained by unseen men seeking control, power and wealth. You’ve been conditioned to love your servitude. Bernays and Huxley had you pegged 80 years ago. Facebook will tell you how you should feel today.

I bet you thought Facebook tweaked your feed to provide you with “relevant” information you might find useful.

What if you found out that instead they “tweaked” it in an attempt to determine whether they could manipulate your emotional state?

Scientists at Facebook have published a paper showing that they manipulated the content seen by more than 600,000 users in an attempt to determine whether this would affect their emotional state. The paper, “Experimental evidence of massive-scale emotional contagion through social networks,” was published inThe Proceedings Of The National Academy Of Sciences. It shows how Facebook data scientists tweaked the algorithm that determines which posts appear on users’ news feeds—specifically, researchers skewed the number of positive or negative terms seen by randomly selected users. Facebook then analyzed the future postings of those users over the course of a week to see if people responded with increased positivity or negativity of their own, thus answering the question of whether emotional states can be transmitted across a social network. Result: They can!

There seems to be this idea that you can get “something for nothing”, or the “something” you “pay” is in some way beneficial.  But what if it’s not?  What if it’s intended to manipulate how you think and respond to events around you?  What if that manipulation doesn’t end with an advertising message trying to get you to buy one product over another?

A rather liberal reading of Facebook’s terms would probably lead you to conclude that you agreed to this when you signed up for an account.  But this much is certain — you weren’t told about it in advance, and you didn’t explicitly consent.

This particular instance came to light because it led to a published research paper.  How much of this is going on in other venues entirely in secret, covered by the same sort of “policy agreement”, without your consent?

My best guess: A whole lot of it.

1. Hollow man says:

Facebook cannot get me. Ha ha ha. Gotta use it first.

30th June 2014 at 9:40 am

People that are addicted to facebook for their “social life” need to be thought controlled and manipulated, because they’re too stupid to think or act for themselves. The great unwashed masses, starting at the icrap all day long, unable to form sentences or coherent thoughts, controlled by the oligarchs, neglecting their kids and families, all so they can feel important and worth something. Technonarcissim in action. Simply amazing people submit to their own mental slavery.

30th June 2014 at 10:27 am

3. Maddie's Mom says:

Not this chick.

8-P

30th June 2014 at 10:40 am

4. card802 says:

I got on FB because my sister thought it would a fun thing for my 78 year old mom to do.

To me FB is a total waste of time with daily posts of cats, dogs, food and stupid random thoughts.

But sometimes my liberal relatives or friends will post some crap about raising taxes on others, raising minimum wage, gun control, etc etc.
    Then I step in and have fun pushing buttons, it’s usually me against the FB world but it’s my stress relief to piss off liberals.

30th June 2014 at 12:02 pm

5. A. R. Wasem says:

Same response to “invites” from Facebookl as to any other “social media” website: peddle your technonarcissistic fecal material elsewhere. Same goes for “Gobble” (NSA front) and “Amazoid” (State sales tax collector). BC-LR to all
    PS – If you want to buy books go to ABEbooks and support independent booksellers.

30th June 2014 at 2:01 pm

6. Billy says:

Libtard douche sister: “You need to join Facebook.”

Me: “No. No way am I joining “Facespook”. The government data mines that shit.”

Libtard douche sister: “No way. You’re being paraniod.”

Me: (makes Facespook page. Joins the group “FUCK HAITI!”)

Libtard douche sister: “Hey! People I work with can see that!”

Me:

il1jaw.gif

…and then I closed my Facespook page.

30th June 2014 at 2:22 pm

Sad? Just Put On a Happy Face(book)

30927\

Fuck Facebook fascism. Get a life….

30th June 2014 at 2:25 pm

8. Eddie says:

I think anyone who says they don’t do FB is admitting they’re over the hill. I know I am. I don’t even get the attraction. Why do FB when you could be ranting on TBP among the real intelligentsia?

30th June 2014 at 3:15 pm

How shallow do you have to be to need or even want to have a facebook account? My brother is always trying to get me to sign up but it’s not happening.

There are a couple of good friends I’d like to locate from high school but sadly, some genius migrated the alumni group to facebook. Oh well.

Off topic but Zerohedge appears to be down. I’ve never seen that before.

30th June 2014 at 5:11 pm

10. GilbertS says:

I agree with AWD. AWESOME POINT!
    I don’t use it and I’m not surprised a good or bad story could effect someone dumb so strongly.

1st July 2014 at 8:13 am

11. Maddie's Mom says:

Happy to be “over the hill” enough to not need FB nonsense in my life and to remember a time when life was more sane and meaningful.

1st July 2014 at 1:16 pm

12. Rob in Nova Scotia says:

Originally reason myself and wife joined facebook was because it was good way of keeping track of step daughter. We needed to keep track of what she was doing. Now that she is cooling her heels in jail until next January I suppose I don’t need to look at it anymore. I do admit to yanking the chains of the many Libards I know with provocative comics and articles. The one thing I’ve noticed is if you post something funny that isn’t critical of our government overlords you get lots of shares and likes. When you post something that makes fun of them you get crickets.

1st July 2014 at 2:16 pm

farce book eats feces.

1st July 2014 at 3:29 pm

14. Econman says:

Wow, if people are scared to make fun of their government, that’s sad.

Self- censorship is for people with no backbone.

2nd July 2014 at 11:38 am